The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.
Is a large, scattered and hilly parish .... 4 1/2 miles north-west from Derry Ormond and Llangybi stations on the Great Western railway, 7 north from Lampeter and 6 south-west from Tregaron, in the hundred and petty sessional division of Penarth, county court district of Lampeter, union of Tregaron, and in the rural deanery of Ultra Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, diocese of St David's.
The church of St Gartheli is a plain modern building of stone ........ rebuilt in 1875, at a cost of £700, and affords 125 sittings. The registers are included in those of Llanddewi Brefi, which date from 1765. The living is a vicarage .... held since 1885 by the Rev Timothy Davies of St David's College, Lampeter, who is also vicar of Bettws Leiki.
There are two Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The land is principally in the hands of Jesus College, Oxford, and Wilmot Inglis Jones esq of Derry Ormond. Abermeurig is the seat of John R Rogers JP.
The soil is gravel; chief crops, wheat, oats and barley, and about half the land under pasture. The area is 2516 acres; rateable value £1129; the population in 1901 was 259.
Nearest Post Office at Abermeurig. Wall Letter Box at school.
Public Elementary School (mixed), for 80 children; average attendance, 40; Dan Benjamin James, mastr
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 29 October 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996