"LLANWNWS (LLAN-WNWS), a parish, comprising the townships of GWNNWS-ISÂV or Lower, and GWNNWS UCHÂV,or Upper, which separately maintain their own poor, in the upper division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 11 miles (S.E. by S ) from Aberystwith, and 15 ( N.N.E.) from Lampeter, containing 919 inhabitants, of which number, 467 are in the higher division, which contains the church. This parish, which extends nearly fourteen miles in length, and, upon the average, three miles in breadth, comprises a wide tract nearly in the centre of the county, bounded on the north by the river Ystwith, and on the south by the Teivy..."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]