GENUKI Home page upGwnnws Contents Contents

 

 

Gwnnws chapels

 

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (Feb 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

 Other sources

 

Baptist

Carmel Baptist, Pontrhydfendigaid  

  • Carmel Welsh Baptist chapel, Pontrhydfendigaid           SN73076688       Built 1836/7; rebuilt 1872/3 & again 1910/11             Records;  minute book 1887-1942  NLW            Still in use 1998     (1)  &  (4)
  • Carmel Baptist  (Upper Gwnnws Township)     Erected in 1836     David Jenkins, Deacon, Pontrhydfendigaid        1851  (2)
  •  
  • Gruffydd, W.J. Carmel y Bedyddwyr, Pontrhydfendigaid 1834-1984

 

Methodist

Bethania CM Sunday School, Pontrhydfendigaid

  • Bethania CM Sunday School, Pontrhydfendigaid    SN73056662     Built 1906, still open 19908    (1)

Caersalem CM schoolroom, Ffair-rhos, Gwnnws

Caradog CM, Ty'n-y-graig, Gwnnws Isaf

  • Caradog CM chapel, Tynygraig     SN69296944           Built 1869.    Still open 1998   (The Chapels Recording Project in Wales)
  • Caradog CM, Ty'n-y-graig, Gwnnws Isaf       Bapts 1871-1992   NLW       (3)
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  •  
  • Caradog CM chapel Tanygraig, (Ystrad Meurig)  - still open in 2006

Glanteifi CM Sunday School, Pen-cefn, Pontrhydfendigaid

  •  Glanteifi CM Sunday School, Pen-cefn, Pontrhydfendigaid             SN71816620             Sunday School chapel, demolished by 1997     (1)

Gorphwysfa  CM schoolroom, Gwnnws

 Penuel Welsh CM, Pontrhydfendigaid

  • Rhydfendigaid Welsh CM chapel, (Penuel)  Pontrhydfendigaid           SN73056665      Society at an earlier period, chapel & schoolroom built 1794; rebuilt 1802, 1827 & renewed 1859/61, rebuilt 1907         Records;  1. births and bapts 1821-37  PRO & on IGI         2. register of members 1859-1920  NLW          3.  sccount books 1863-98  NLW        4.  childrens' contributions to ministerial fund 1872-75  NLW        5. Chapel records 1847-1983  NLW            Still open 1998   (1)  &  (4)
  • Penuel Welsh CM, Pontrhydfendigaid          Erected before 1800       James Morgan, Deacon, Pontrhydfendigaid     1851  (2)
  • Pontrhydfendigaid CM chapel     Bapts 1821-37  PRO;    Bapts 1877-1934, 1936-61   NLW;  Burials 1924, 1939, 1945-67, 1990  NLW     (3)
  •  
  • Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Rhydfendigaid (Cal.Meth., 1859-75, 1924, 1929, 1939, 1945-67).   (9)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  • Davies, W. Canmlwyddiant Capel Rhydfendigiad 1859-1959. Braslun o Hanes y Methodistiaeth Calfinaidd ym Mhontrhydfendgaid 1794-1959. [Centenary of Chapel Rhydfendigaid 1859-1959. Historical Sketch of Calvinistic Methodism in Pontrhydfendigaid, 1794-1959]. Llandysul, Lewis & sons, 1959 [ LDS GS 994004]
  • Still open in 2006
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

Tynycwm chapel, Pontrhydfendigaid - See Capeli   (2005 list of chapels under threat). A search of Coflein shows nothing under Tynycwm but apparently not Penuel which was still open in 2006

??

 

Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 16 Oct 2011]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.