For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database
Compiled by Gareth Hicks (Feb 2007)
all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar
- 1. The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.
Nonconformist Registers of Wales published by the National Library of Wales in 1994.
The Parish Churches and Nonconformist Chapels of Wales: Their Records and where to Find them, Vol. One, Cardigan - Carmarthen - Pembroke, by Rawlins, B.J. (1987).
- 5. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 - the Archive Cd Books Cd
- 6. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 - the Archive Cd Books Cd
- 7. My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.
- 8. Independent Chapels of Wales: History Books and Pamphlets by Huw Walters.
- 9. Death and Burial indexes available for purchase from Cardiganshire Family History Society
- 10. Online Commercial & Residential Directories as appropriate to a particular parish - apart from what may already be on Genuki, see also the Historical Directories site
Carmel Baptist, Pontrhydfendigaid
- Carmel Welsh Baptist chapel, Pontrhydfendigaid SN73076688 Built
1836/7; rebuilt 1872/3 & again 1910/11 Records;
minute book 1887-1942 NLW Still
in use 1998 (1) & (4)
- Carmel Baptist (Upper Gwnnws Township) Erected in 1836 David Jenkins, Deacon, Pontrhydfendigaid
- Gruffydd, W.J.
Carmel y Bedyddwyr, Pontrhydfendigaid 1834-1984
Bethania CM Sunday School, Pontrhydfendigaid
Caersalem CM schoolroom, Ffair-rhos, Gwnnws
Caradog CM, Ty'n-y-graig, Gwnnws Isaf
- Bethania CM Sunday School, Pontrhydfendigaid SN73056662 Built
1906, still open 19908 (1)
Glanteifi CM Sunday School, Pen-cefn, Pontrhydfendigaid
- Photograph on Dyfed FHS
- Caradog CM chapel Tanygraig, (Ystrad Meurig) - still open in 2006
Gorphwysfa CM schoolroom, Gwnnws
Penuel Welsh CM, Pontrhydfendigaid
- Glanteifi CM Sunday School, Pen-cefn, Pontrhydfendigaid
SN71816620 Sunday School chapel,
demolished by 1997 (1)
- Rhydfendigaid Welsh CM chapel, (Penuel) Pontrhydfendigaid
at an earlier period, chapel & schoolroom built 1794; rebuilt 1802, 1827 & renewed 1859/61,
rebuilt 1907 Records;
1. births and bapts 1821-37 PRO & on IGI 2.
register of members 1859-1920 NLW 3.
sccount books 1863-98 NLW 4. childrens'
contributions to ministerial fund 1872-75 NLW 5.
Chapel records 1847-1983 NLW Still
open 1998 (1) & (4)
- Penuel Welsh CM, Pontrhydfendigaid Erected before 1800 James Morgan, Deacon, Pontrhydfendigaid
- Pontrhydfendigaid CM chapel Bapts
1821-37 PRO; Bapts 1877-1934, 1936-61
NLW; Burials 1924, 1939, 1945-67, 1990 NLW
- Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from
non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Rhydfendigaid (Cal.Meth., 1859-75, 1924, 1929, 1939, 1945-67).
- See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Davies, W.
Canmlwyddiant Capel Rhydfendigiad 1859-1959. Braslun o Hanes y Methodistiaeth Calfinaidd ym Mhontrhydfendgaid 1794-1959. [Centenary of Chapel Rhydfendigaid 1859-1959. Historical Sketch of Calvinistic Methodism in Pontrhydfendigaid, 1794-1959]. Llandysul, Lewis & sons, 1959 [ LDS GS 994004]
Tynycwm chapel, Pontrhydfendigaid - See Capeli (2005 list of chapels under threat).
A search of Coflein shows nothing under Tynycwm but apparently not
Penuel which was still open in 2006
- Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By
John Evans. Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History
in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This
book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence
in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one.
It includes a history of preaching in the area before
the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and
contains a wealth of genealogical information.
[Gareth Hicks: 16 Oct 2011]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.