Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Gwnnws - Extract from 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' by Samuel Lewis 1833
"LLANWNWS (LLAN-WNWS), a parish, comprising the townships of GWNNWS-ISÂV or Lower, and GWNNWS UCHÂV,or Upper, which separately maintain their own poor, in the upper division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 11 miles (S.E. by S ) from Aberystwith, and 15 ( N.N.E.) from Lampeter, containing 919 inhabitants, of which number, 467 are in the higher division, which contains the church. This parish, which extends nearly fourteen miles in length, and, upon the average, three miles in breadth, comprises a wide tract nearly in the centre of the county, bounded on the north by the river Ystwith, and on the south by the Teivy. The surrounding scenery, though not generally rich, or distinguished by any prevailing character, is enlivened by some picturesque and romantic features, the most prominent of which is the beautiful fall called PwIl Caradoc,supposed to have derived its designation from a chieftain of that name, who is said to have met his death by rushing over the precipice, which is of very considerable height. The lands are but very partially enclosed, a large proportion of this extensive parish being uncultivated. In the Upper division are the mines called Esgair Mwn of which a plan was made in 1758, by order of the Court of Exchequer; they are not at present worked. The inhabitants obtain their letters chiefly from Aberystwith; but a part of the parish is within the delivery of Lampeter.The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Chichester family. The church, dedicated to St. Gwnnws, is a small ancient edifice, situated on the summit of a hill, and consisting only of a nave and chancel. In the churchyard is an ancient monumental stone, about three feet nine inches in height, ornamented on the east front with an embellished cross, and bearing an inscription so greatly mutilated as to be at present quite illegible: it is supposed by some antiquaries to commemorate the death of the above-mentioned unfortunate chieftain. On the sacramental cup is inscribed the date 1574. A small Sunday school is supported by subscription. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £133.6., of which sum, £61.13. is assessed on the township of Gwnnws Uchâv."
[Gareth Hicks: 11 December 1999]