Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database
Compiled by Gareth Hicks (Feb 2007)
See also Aberaeron under Llanddewi-Aber-Arth
NB. Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar
- 1. The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
- 2. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976
- 3. Nonconformist Registers of Wales published by the National Library of Wales in 1994.
- 4. The Parish Churches and Nonconformist Chapels of Wales: Their Records and where to Find them, Vol. One, Cardigan - Carmarthen - Pembroke, by Rawlins, B.J. (1987).
- 5. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 - the Archive Cd Books Cd
- 6. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 - the Archive Cd Books Cd
- 7. My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.
- 8. Independent Chapels of Wales: History Books and Pamphlets by Huw Walters.
- 9. Death and Burial indexes available for purchase from Cardiganshire Family History Society
- 10. Online Commercial & Residential Directories as appropriate to a particular parish - apart from what may already be on Genuki, see also the Historical Directories site
Neuaddlwyd Welsh Ind chapel, Henfynyw
N.B. The Kain/Oliver electronic parish maps places this chapel in Llanerch-Aeron parish, but Hanes Eglwysi and other sources refer to it as being in Henfynyw parish
- Neuadd-lwyd Welsh Ind chapel SN47465961 Built 1746; rebuilt 1819, 1869 & 1906. Ministry of Dr Thomas Phillips 1796-1842 Ministry of William Evans 1842-73 Records; 1. bapts 1791-1830, 1831 -37 PRO & in IGI 2. register of members 1780-1850 NLW 3. baptismal register of Neuaddlwyd and Peniel chapel, Aberaeron 1791-1878 NLW & in IGI Still open 1998 (1) & (4)
- Neuaddlwyd Henfynyw Ind Erected before 1800 David Davies, Deacon 1851 (2)
- Neuadd-lwyd Cong Bapts 1791-1837 PRO Bapts 1791-1896 NLW (3)
- Neuadd-lwyd Welsh Ind Opened 1746 Records; Bapts 1791-1837 copies at Cer RO and SOG Bapts 1791-1896 at NLW (7)
- Neuadd Lwyd Cong chapel Founded 1780 Seats 250 1910 (5)
- See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Neuaddlwyd (Ind., 1792-1809).
- Anerchiadau a phregethau a draddodwyd Ebrill 6ed, 1896, yn nghyfarfodydd dathliad trydedd jiwbili cychwyniad yr achos, a chanmlwyddiant sefydliad y diweddar Ddr Phillips fel gweinidog yn Neuaddlwyd, (Llandysul, 1896), viii, 65tt. (8)
Ffos-y-Ffin Welsh CM chapel, Ffos-y-ffin
- Ffos-y-ffin Welsh CM chapel, Ffos-y-ffin SN44816066 Started 1765 & chapel built 1780, rebuilt 1831-2, new vestry built 1927. Members; 84 in 1902 Records; births and bapts 1811-37 PRO & in IGI Still open 1998 (1) & (4)
- Ffos y Ffin CM Erected before 1800 David Hughes, Deacon 1851 (2)
- Ffos-y-ffin CM Bapts 1807-37 PRO (3)
- Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Ffosyffin (Cal.Meth., 1846-1926).
- See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Capel Ffosyffin [CM], cofysgrifau (records) 1950-1997 "Sefydlwyd yr achos ar fferm Tynyporth ym mhlwyf Henfynyw ym 1765. Adeiladwyd y capel cyntaf o gwmpas 1780. Codwyd adeilad newydd ar dir a roddwyd ar brydles gan stÃ¢d Mynachdy ym 1831. Prynwyd y tir ym 1879 gan y capel oddi wrth Alban Gwynne, Mynachty. Datgorfforwyd y capel ym 1997."
- Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans. Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.
[Gareth Hicks: 16 Oct 2011]