GENUKI Home page up Henfynyw Contents Contents

 

Kelly's Directory

South Wales 1910

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly  edited version, place names are as written.


Upper Henfynyw

Is a parish ...... reconstituted under the provisions of the 'Local Government Act 1894' from that part of the ancient civil parish not included in Aberayron Urban District, and is 13 miles west-by-north from Lampeter, 2 1/2 south from Aberayron, and 18 south from Aberystwyth; in 1910 the Great Western railway will open their new line from Lampeter to Aberayron, with a station at the latter place, 2 1/2 miles distant from this parish; in the hundred of Ilar, petty sessional division of Ilar Lower and Aberayron, union and county court district of Aberayron, and in the rural deanery of Glyn-Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St David's.

The church of St David's is a plain building of stone ....... rebuilt in 1866, and affords 120 sittings. The registers date from 1718. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Holy Trinity, Aberayron, annexed ..... and held since 1903 by the Rev Evan Evans BA of St David's College, Lampeter, and rural dean of Glyn-Aeron who resides at Aberayron.

There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel in the village, and a Congregational chapel at Neuadd Lwyd, founded in 1760, with sittings for 250 persons.

Fort Cadwgan, an ancient earthwork near Aberayron, is in this parish.

Alban Lewis Gwynne esq of Monachty, Ciliau-Aeron, is lord of the manor. Mrs Lewis is the principal landowner.

The soil is light and slatey; chief crops, wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1977 acres of land and 5 of water and 59 of foreshore; rateable value 1131; the population in 1901 was 322.

Ffoes-y-ffin is a hamlet in this parish.

Aberayron is the nearest Post Office, Wall Letter Boxes at Ffoes-y-ffin and Neuadd Lwyd.

The children of this place attend the school at Aberayron & Penlon, Llanarth.

Residents

Commercial


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 30 October 2003]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI