GENUKI Home page up Henfynyw Contents Contents

 

 

Henfynyw - Extract from "A Topographical Dictionary of Wales"
by Samuel Lewis 1833

"HNVYNYW (HN-VYNYW), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 14 miles (N. W. by W.) from Lampeter, containing 625 inhabitants. This parish, which is washed on one side by the waves of the fine bay of Cardigan, in St. George's channel, is separated from the parish of Llandewy Aberarth by the powerful stream of the Aron and contains about two thousand acres of land the soil of which is various, being in some places argillaceous and wet, and in others of a good quality for the produce of corn. It is intersected by the turnpike road from Cardigan to Aberystwith, and the neighbourhood is characterized by that varied and strikingly bold scenery which prevails on this part of the Welsh coast.. The surface is boldly undulated, and from the higher grounds are obtained some interesting views of the bay of Cardigan, and some extensive prospects over the adjacent country. This parish contains the small but flourishing sea-port town of Aberaron which, within the last few years, has attained a considerable degree of commercial importance, and of which a separate account is given. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with     800 royal bounty, and 1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Precentor and Chapter of the Cathedral Church of St.David's, who receive the tithes and pay the minister an annual stipend of 8. The church, dedicated to St. David, is a neat plain edifice, consisting only of a nave and chancel, situated in a remarkably large cemetery. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. A school-room was built by the late Rev. Alban Thomas Jones Gwynne, of Tyglyn, in which the children of the parish are instructed on the National system, partly by subscription, and partly at the expense of their parents. Close to the sea-shore, and not far from the boundary line between this parish and that of Llandewy Aberarth, are the remains of an ancient encampment. The name of Hnfynyw signifies literally "Old Menevia;" and there is a tradition that the cathedral of St. David's was originally designed to have been erected here : near the church is a spring, still called Fynnon Ddewi, or "St. David's Well;" and this parish is distinguished as the place where that saint was brought up from his infancy. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 104.4."

Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 5 December 1999]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional  

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.