The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a small parish, in the county of Cardigan, situated in the vale of the river Teify, with a station on the branch from Pencader junction, on the Great Western and Manchester and Milford railways, to Llandysul and Newcastle Emlyn, and is 4 1/2 miles west from Llandysul and 263 from London, in the Aberbank division of the county, hundred of Troedyraur, Newcastle in Emlyn union, and county court district, petty sessional division of Penrhywpal, and in the rural deanery of Sub Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. David is a plain building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch, and a turret containing one bell; the church affords sittings for 104 persons. The registers date only from the year 1813. The living is a vicarage annexed to the rectory of Bangor-Teifi, tithe rent-charge here £19; joint net income £94, with 4 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1885 by the Rev. David Jones B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter, who resides at Bangor Teifi.
Here is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, seating 150.
The principal landowners are Sir Marteine Owen Mowbray Lloyd bart. D.L., J.P. of Llandysul and Col. Lewes.
The soil is clay; subsoil, slate. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 387 acres of land and 8 of water; rateable value, £251; the population in 1891 was 128.
Wall Letter Box, Aberbank, cleared at 2 p.m. Letters through Llandysul, which is the nearest telegraph office, are delivered at 7.30 a.m. Nearest M. O. O. at Penrhwllan
National School for 130 children; average attendance, 89; William Griffiths, master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 2 November 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996