The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a village and parish, on the river Ystwith, in the county of Cardigan, 2 miles north-east from Trawscoed station on The Manchester and Milford railway, and 9 3/4 east-by-south from Aberystwyth, in the hundred of Ilar, petty sessional division of Ilar Upper, Aberystwyth union, and county court district, and in the rural deanery of Llanbadarnfawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's. The church of St. Avan, rebuilt about 1860, is a plain. but ancient edifice of stone, and consists of chancel, nave, south transept, south porch, and a belfry containing, 2 bells: the east window is stained, and there is an old record chest: there are 190 sittings, of which 150 are free. The churchyard was enlarged in 1891, with ground presented by the Earl of Lisburne. The registers of baptisms and burials date from 1750; marriages, 1767, but the entries are very imperfect up to 1813. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £100, net £96, in the gift of Miss Chichester of Arlington Court, Devon, and held since 1886 by the Rev. William Jones-Williams B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter, who is also vicar of Llanwnws.
There are two Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
Trawscoed, or Crosswood, a mansion which, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, was a seat of the Earls of Essex, is now the residence of the Earl of Lisburne D.L., J.P. The manor is vested in the Crown. The principal landowner is the Earl of Lisburne.
The soil is a light loam; chief crops are oats, barley and roots. The area is 2,577 acres of land and 33 of water; rateable value £1,880; the population in 1891 was 381.
Post Office. --- John P. Morgan, sub-postmaster. Letters, from Crosswood R.S.O. Cardigan, arrive at 11 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Crosswood is the nearest money order office and Llanilar the nearest telegraph office '
Parochial school, built in 1858, and restored in 1875 by the Earl of Lisburne, who also maintains it; average attendance, 51 boys, 35 girls; H. H. Herring, master
Trawscoed Station, Manchester & Milford Railway, J. T. Davies, station master .
- Lisburne, Earl of D.L., J.P. ; Crosswood
- Gardiner, Robert; Wenallt
- Jones-Williams, Rev. William B.A.; The Vicarage
- Davies, James, farmer; Cwmpenllydan
- Dodd, William, farm bailiff to the Earl of Lisburne
- Davies, Wm. assist. oversr. ; Llwyncogan
- Evans, Richard, shopkeeper; New shop
- Gardiner, Robert, agent to the Earl of Lisburne; Wenallt
- Guthrie, Robert, farmer; Dolgwibedig
- Jones, David, carpenter
- Jones, David, forester to the Earl of Lisburne
- Jones, Hugh, farmer; Wenallt farm
- Morgan, James, gamekeeper to the Earl of Lisburne
- Price, George, farmer; Tynfron
- Stedman, Isaac, farmer; Blaenddole
- Williams, Jonah, farmer; Tynrhyd
- Williams, Richard Charles, gardener to the Earl of Lisburne
[Gareth Hicks: 2 November 2003]