GENUKI Home page up Llanbadarn Fawr Contents Contents

 

Kelly's Directory

South Wales 1895

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description has been edited, place names are as written unless clearly misleading.


Llanbadarn-Fawr

Is a village and an extensive parish on the road from Aberystwyth to Rhayader, 1 mile south-east from Aberystwyth railway station, 208 from London by road, 27 west from Llanidloes, and 30 north-west from Rhayader, in the counlty of Cardigan, hundred of Geneu'r-Glyn, Aberystwyth union and county court district, petty sessional division of Lower Geneu'r- Glyn, rural deanery of, Llanbadarn-Fawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's.

The townships of Issayndre and Uchayndre constitute the village of Llanbadarn-Fawr.

The church of St. Padarn, or Paternus, once the cathedral of the ancient see of Llanbadarn Fawr, which existed, from about A.D. 516 till the close of the 8th century, was destroyed by the Danes when they invaded Wales in 988, and rebuilt in the 11th and 13th centuries; it is now a stately and very spacious cruciform building,  almost entirely in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch, a massive embattled central tower, with a low octagonal spire, and containing a clock and eight bells, 6 of which were cast in 1749: the other two were added in 1886: the windows are mostly lancets, and at the ends of the transepts and at the west end are arranged one and two;  the east window is a memorial to Mrs. Edwyna Powell, of Nant-eos, and was inserted by her son George; there are seven other stained windows, including the three western lancets, filled with stained glass by the parishioners in 1894, in memory of the Rev. John Pugh, curate here, 1856-61, vicar, 1861-93, and a white marble tablet erected in 1666 to John Jones, who raised a regiment in defence of King Charles; others to the Powell and Pryse families, and a floor slab inscribed to Lewis Morris, antiquary and poet, d. 11 April, 1765 : the font dates from the 12th century, and has an octagonal arcaded basin:, the pulpit was presented by the Bishop of St. David's, in memory of his mother, and the organ in 1884 by Sir Pryse Pryse bart. D.L., J.P.: the church was restored in 1884-5 at a cost of 8,500, under the direction of Mr. John P. Seddon, architect, and affords 700 sittings.

A spacious churchyard surrounds the church, and opposite the porch stands a Celtic cross. The register dates from 1672, the earlier ones having been destroyed by Cromwell's troops. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 300, with glebe (140) and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David, and held since 1893 by the Rev. Ebenezer Jones M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford.

William Beauclerc Powell esq. of Nant-eos, is lord of the manor, and the Aberystwyth Corporation, the Rev. E. Edwards, of Machynelleth, Roderick Clement Richardes esq. of Penglais, J. T. Morgan esq. the Earl of Lisburne, Crosswood, G. H. P. Evans esq. Sir William Pryse Pryse bart, of Gogerddan, and Thomas William Bonsall esq, of Morben, Machynlleth, are principal landowners.

Parish Clerk, John Jones. '

Post, M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. --- Evan , Simon, sub-postmaster. (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Cardiganshire added.) Letters by mail cart, received through Aberystwyth, arrive 7.10 a.m. & 7.30 p.m.; dispatched at 6.30 a.m. & 5.10 p.m.; Sundays, 4.15 p.m. The -nearest.telegraph office is at Aberystwyth

County Magistrates for the Lower Geneu'r-Glyn Petty Sessional Division.

(Names of magistrates etc not extracted)

The following places are included in the petty sessional division :-Cwmrheidlol, Issayndre, Uchayndre, Melindwr, Parcel Canol, Trefeyrig, Vaenor Upper & Vaenor Lower

A School Board of 7 members was formed 5 Feb. 1875, for the united district of Llanbadarn-Fawr, which includes the townships of Issayndre, Uchayndre & Upper Vaenor; Harold George Atwood, 1 Baker street, Aberystwyth, clerk to the board; Hugh Morris, Llanbadarn-Fawr, attendance officer

Cwmrheidol

--- is a township about 5 miles east from Aberystwyth. Glansheidol is the seat of James George F. Hughes-Bonsall esq. D.L., J.P. The area is 13,533 acres of land and 168 of water; rateable value, 2,734; the population in 1891 was 878.

Post Office, Ponterwydd.--- Edward Jones, sub-postmaster.

A School Board of 7 members was formed 18 August, 1871, & there is a Board school

Issa Yndre

--- is a township, 1 mile east from Aberystwyth.

There are chapels for Calvinistic Methodists and Congregationalists.

The area comprises 398 acres, including Uchayndre; the rateable value, 1,346; population in 1891 was 371.

Board School, built in 1863, for 100 children; average attendance, 69; Thomas Morgan, master ,

Llanbadarncroyddin Lower

--- is a township, 3 miles from Llanbadarn-Fawr church at Llanbadarn-Fawr and 1 1/2  from Aberystwyth. The Llanrhystyd Road station, on the Manchester and Milford railway, is in this township.

 There are two Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapels, and Independent and Baptist chapels.

Nant-Eos, the seat of W. Beauclerc Powell esq. D.L., J.P. and one of the most picturesque in the county, is about 4 miles from Aberystwyth. The area is 4,981 acres; rateable value, 4,423; the population in 1891 was 601.

Post Office, Llanfarian.---Morris Jones, sub-postmaster.

The children of this township attend the schools at  Llanchaiarn & Penyparke .

Llanbadarncroyddin Upper

---  is a township, 4 miles south-east from the parish church of Llanbadarn-Fawr and 5 miles from Aberystwyth.  

Here are two Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapels.

The area is 9,342 acres; rateable value, 2,065; and the population in 1891 was 418.

The children of this township attend the school at Cwmrheidol

Trefeyrig

--- is a large township, about 5 miles east of Aberystwyth, in the Rheidol Valley, and extending thence to Plynlimmon range.

The chapel of ease of St. John the Divine, erected in. 1882, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, organ chamber, western porch and a turret containing one bell: the Rev. George Blackwall has been curate in charge since 1893, and resides at Cwmrheidol.

There are two Baptist and two Independent chapels and a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.

Here are two leadmines. The soil is clay, and chiefly under grass. The area comprises 9,488 acres, of which 78 are water; rateable value, 2,605; the population in 1891 was 822.

Post Office, Penrhyncoch.--- David James, sub-postmaster.

A School Board of 5 members was formed 26 June, 1871; Elias Jenkins, clerk; Edwd. Edwards attendance officer

Board School, for 150 children; average attendance, 92; D. C. Williams, master

National School, Penrhyncoch, erected in 1863 by Sir Pryse Pryse, for 195 children, & is maintained at his expense; average attendance, 80; Charles John Ivory, master

Ucha Yndre

--- is  a township, 1 1/2 miles from Aberystwyth.

Bronpadarn is the seat of Capt. George Weir Cosens J.P.

The area is 398 acres; rateable value, 290; the population in 1891 was 368.

Board School, Cwnpadarn (infants), built in 1878, for 76 children; average attendance, 49; Miss Maria Jones, mistress

Vainor Lower

--- is a township, varying from half a mile to 3 miles from the church at Llanbadarn-Fawr, half a mile north of Aberystwyth.

Cwmcynfelin is the seat of Mrs Bonsall, and Penglais of Roderick Clement Richardes esq.  

The Aberystwyth workhouse is in this township, for particulars, see Aberystwyth.

A pack of beagles at Penglais is maintained by subscription; R. C. Richardes esq. master.

The area is 1,148 acres; rateable value, 2,026; the population in 1891 was 281, including 81 officers and inmates in the Aberystwyth workhouse.

Vainor Upper

--- is a township, varying from three-quarters of a mile to 3 miles from the church at Llanbadarn-Fawr and 1 mile from Aberystwyth.

There are Welsh Calvinistic Methodist and Congregational chapels.

Fronfrath is the seat of John George William Bonsall esq. J.P. and Lovesgrove of Sir Griffith Humphrey Pugh Evans D.L, J.P., K.C.I.E.  Dolan is the residence of Lieut.-Gen. Jenkin Jones R.E. and Nant-ceirio of John Thomas Morgan esq. D.L., J.P.

The area is 1,459 acres; rateable value, 2,199; the population in 1891 was 337

Board School, Comminscoch (mixed & infants), for 80 children; average attendance, 40; Miss Ann Charles, mistress

 

There now follows the name listings in this order;

Llanbadarn Fawr.

Private Residents

Commercial

Farmers

 

Cwmrheidol

Private Residents

Commercial

Farmers

Llanbadarncroyddin Lower

Commercial

Farmers

 

Llanbadarncroyddin Upper

Commercial

Farmers

 

Trefeyrig

Commercial

Farmers 

 

Vainor Lower

Farmers

Vainor Upper

Private Residents

Commercial


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 6  November 2003]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI