The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (December 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1842 from the old civil parish of Llanbadarn fawr, in the county of Cardigan, 1 mile from Bow Street station, on the Cambrian railway, and is in the hundred of Geneu'r Glyn, petty sessional division of Geneu'r Glyn Upper, union and county court district of Aberystwyth, and in the rural deanery of Llanbadarnfawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of All Saints', an edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of, chancel, nave, south porch, and a tower containing 3 bells. There are 200 sittings. The separate register dates from the year 1842 only. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £140, with 5 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Rev. J. E. Williams, and held since 1885 by the Rev. William Evans.
There is a Congregational chapel.
Sir Pryse Pryse bart. is the principal landowner. Soil is sand and gravel. The principal crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,180 acres; the population in 1891 was 299.
Sexton, Thomas R. Davies.
Letters by messenger from Aberystwyth, which is the nearest telegraph office, arrive at 9 a.m. Wall Letter Box cleared at 3.10 p.m. Bow Street is the nearest post & money order office.
National School, Llangorwen (mixed), built in 1871, for 50 children; average attendance 38; Miss Clara Percival, mistress.
Is a township on the road from Aberystwyth to Llanidoes.
Gogerddan, the seat of Sir Pryse Pryse bart. D.L., J.P. is in this township. The area is 508 acres; rateable value £557; the population in 1891 was 139.
Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Bow Street (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Cardiganshire added).--- James Davies, postmaster. Letters received at 7.30 a.m. week days; 10 a.m. Sundays; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. week days & sundays. Aberystwyth is the nearest telegraph office.
School, Bow Street, for younger children, maintained by Lady Pryse Pryse
Railway Station, Bow Street, John Chedlow, station master
Is a township about 4 miles north-east from Aberystwyth, on the Machynlleth road.
The area is 1,672 acres; rateable value £1,593; the population in 1891 was 160.
Letters through Aberystwyth
- Evans, Rev. Wm. (vicar); Vicarage
- Gogerddan Estate Office (Col. George G. Williams, agent)
- Edwards, John; Nant Seiriol
- Evans, John; Maeunwch
- Howells, David; Nantcollan-fawr
- Jenkins, David; Glanymor
- Jones, John; Rhoscollanfach
- Jones, John; Rhoscollanfawr
- Lewis, William; Bryncastell
- Pryse, Sir Pryse bart. D.L.,J P. ; Gogerddan
- Evans, William; Hutton house
- Morgan, Rev. Thomas James (Calvinistic Methodist); Caervillu
- Davies, James, blacksmith; Post office Bow Street
- Hughes, John Richard, coal merchant
- James, Nathaniel, farmer; Frondeg
- Joseph, John, farm bailiff to Sir Pryse Pryse, Gogerddan
- Lewis, Evan, carpenter
- Roberts, Richard, shopkeeper
- Thomas, Richard, farmer; Brysgaga
- Benjamin, Wm., miller (water); Ruel fm
- Davies, Thos. stone masn.; Blaenddola
- Edwards, Edwd. shopkpr. ; The Cross
- Edwards, Eliza (Mrs.); Black Lion P.H
- Edwards, John Mewrig, coal merchnt
- Jones, Griffith, farmer; Wileirogissaf
- Richards, Margt.(Mrs.),frmr.; Tyrabbey
- Roberts, Lewis, farm bailiff to D. Jenkins esq.; Tymawr
[Gareth Hicks: 4 December 2003]