We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANBADARN-ODWYNNE (LLAN-BADARN-ODYN), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of PENARTH, county of CARDIGAN,SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (N. N. E.) from Lampeter, containing 558 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Paternus and its distinguishing adjunct from its conspicuous position on the summit of a lofty eminence, is situated near the river Aêron and from the higher grounds is obtained a fine view of the Vale of Aêron, which abounds with pleasing and richly varied scenery. It formerly constituted a prebend in the collegiate church of Llandewy-Brevi, founded by Thomas Beck, Bishop of St. David's, in 1187, and was rated in the king's books at £6. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. Samuel Evans, the present incumbent. The church is a small edifice, consisting only of a nave and chancel, situated on a lofty eminence ; and from the churchyard is an interesting view of the vale beneath, and an extensive prospect over the surrounding country. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, which is the largest dissenting place of worship in South Wales. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 89.10."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llanbadarn-Odwyn area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

St Padarn's church - photograph on Dyfed FHS

Parish entry for Llanddewi Brefi with Llanbadarn Odwyn from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St David
  • &
  • St Padarn (Llanbadarn Odwyn)
  • Incumbent and Curates; T R Davies
  • Rural Deanery of Ultra Aeron
  • Acreage 29,648 & 2,617 ; Population 1,597

Church Records

See Notes on Church/Chapel Records page

Parish Register;
Baptisms 1815-1956. Marriages 1808-1942 [Banns 1823-36,1913] NLW. Burials 1813-1930  NLW with copies of some dates at Cer.RO
PR CMB 1777-1812 recorded in 1831 seemingly lost. Entries for CMB before 1812 in PR Llanddewibrefi.
Bishops Transcripts;
1683-5, 1811, 1813-35, 1841-56, 1866, 1871, 1873, 1875, 1877 NLW

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

I.G.I; Baptisms 1811-54, 1866-77

Nonconformist Chapels;

Llwynpiod CM chapel, Llanbadarn Odwyn

  • Llwynpiod Welsh CM chapel, Llwynpiod      SN64246095       Founded before 1660 when  associated with Independents, cause associated wholly with Methodists after 1810       This chapel and several others were united under direction of Philip Pugh          Original chapel built before 1700 at Llwynrhys, rebuilt at Llwynpiod in 1753; rebuilt 1803, renewed 1853, rebuilt again 1881.       Members; 106 in 1902          Records; births and bapts 1820-37 PRO & in IGI               Still open 1998          (Combined source  The Chapels Recording Project in Wales    &    Rawlins, see Notes on Church/Chapel Records page)
  • Llwynpiod CM, Llanbadarn Odwyn        Bapts 1820-37 PRO;   Bapts 1832-1926 NLW     ( Nonconformist Registers of Wales -   See Notes on Church/Chapel Records page )
  • "There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, which is the largest dissenting place of worship in South Wales."  (From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833)
  • "Daniel Rowland [Llangeitho] was deeply influenced by two men in particular, Phylip Pugh of Llwynpiod , Nonconformist minister , and Gruffydd Jones, Llanddowror" (Nantcwnlle Gareth's Help Page)
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  • Still open 2007 - has contact address on Ceredigion Library list
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanbadarn-Odwyn which are provided by:

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish or chapelry are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 4425 acres; Population 235 males, 257 females, total 492

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanbadarn Odwyn parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llanbadarn Odwyn(39); Brechfa; Brechfa-fach; Bron Aeron; Bryn-cipill; Cefn-banadl; Deri Odwyn; Garn-wen; Gwar llyn; Henbant; Llan-feilog; Llwyn Rhys; Meini-gwynion; Mynydd Bach; Pant-y-beudy; Parc-Rhydderch; Parc-yr-yn; Pentre Padarn; Penuwch; Pen-y-Gaer; Tre-coll; Tre-wern; Ty nant;

Kelly's Directory South Wales 1895

With the kind permission of the publisher, these selected extracts below are taken  from "The History of Cardiganshire" by S R Meyrick, 1810, specifically the reprint of the 1907 imprint published by Stephen Collard in July 2000.

  • "Llanbadarn Odwynne, situated on a very high, cold, and bleak hill, just above Llangeitho, commanding a delightful prospect of the fertile vale of Aeron. It consists simply of a nave and chancel, and stands on a cemetery walled in."
  • "Its name imports that it was dedicated to St Paternus,, or Patrick, the founder of Llanbadarn fawr. Its epithet Odwynne, 'very white', seems to have been judiciously applied, as it may be seen for some miles off on every side, conspiciously exhibiting a contrast to the green turf beneath it."
  • "It belonged formerly to Llandewi Brevi, having been a chapel of ease thereto, but is now a separate parish."

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanbadarn-Odwyn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Hogg, A.H.A.   A Promentary Fort at Tre-Coll, Llanbadarn Odwyn (NLW's site)    Ceredigion : Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society, Vol VI, No 4, 1971.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN634605 (Lat/Lon: 52.225682, -4.001376), Llanbadarn-Odwyn which are provided by:


[Gareth Hicks:  11 Dec 2012]