Llanbadarn Odwyn Contents
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description has been edited, place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish in the county of Cardigan on the river Aeron, 4 miles west from Tregaron station and 3 1/2 north-by-west from Llanio road station, both on the Manchester and Milford railway, in the hundred and petty sessional division of Penarth, county court district of Lampeter, union of Tregaron, and in the rural deanery of Ultra Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Padarn is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel and nave, and has 1 bell; it affords 200 sittings; the register dates from the year 1777. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Llanddewi Brefi, tithe rent-charge £68, average £51, joint net income £290, with 450 acres of glebe, in the gift of G. L. Vaughan esq. & Sir R. D. Green-Price bart., alternately, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Thomas Rogers Davies B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter, who resides at Llanddewi Brefi.
There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
The Earl of Lisburne, who is lord of the manor, and the Rev. John Richards J.P., D.L., rector of Aberfraw, are the principal landowners.
The soil is gravel, chief, crops, barley and oats. The area comprises 2,617 acres, of which 3 are water; rateable value £1,298; the population in 1891 was 260.
Letters are received through Llanio R.S.O. at 2.30 p.m. Llangeitho is the nearest post & money order office, & Tregaron fhe nearest telegraph office. Wall Letter Boxes, Stag's Head, cleared at 11.45 a.m. & Castell Flemish at 3.15 p.m.
This place is included in the Tregaron united school board district, formed 29 Oct. 1874 '
Board School (mixed), Castell Flemish, built in 1883, for 60 children; average attendance, 42; William Hughes, master
Some of the children of this parish attend the school at Llangeitho
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 8 November 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996