Llanbadarn Trefeglwys Contents
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description has been edited, place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish and small village on the river Arth, in the county of Cardigan, 2 3/4 miles north-east from Aberayron, 10 miles west from Tregaron railway station, on the Manchester and Milford railway, in Lower Ilar hundred, Aberayron union, county court district, and petty sessional division, Glyn Aeron rural deanery, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's. The church of St. Padarn is a plain rectangular building of stone and plaster, consisting only of nave, and a turret, with spire, containing 1 bell. There are 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1719. The living is a vicarage, with Cilcennin annexed, tithe rent-charge £130, average £93, joint net income £113, with 4 acres of glebe, in the gift of the bishop of St.David's, and held since 1882 by the Rev. Thomas Jones, who resides at Cilcennin.
There are three Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
Alban Gwynne esq., is lord of the manor.
The soil is heavy, subsoil slate; the chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 6,348 acres; rateable value £2,327, and the population in 1891 was 731.
Pennant is a hamlet about a quarter of a mile from the church.
Parish Clerk, James Evans.
Post Office, Pennant.--- Margaret Davies, sub-postmistress. Letters received through Aberarth R.S.O. Cardiganshire, at 12 noon; dispatched at 12.40 p.m. Nearest M.O. & T. O. at Llanon
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874; J. A. Lloyd, clerk to the board; David Jones, attendance officer
Board School, erected in 1870, for 80 children; David Rees, master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 8 November 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996