The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, 4 miles south from Llanrhystyd station on the Manchester and Milford railway, and 7 south from Aberystwyth, in the hundred of Ilar, petty sessional division of Ilar Upper, union and county court district of Aberystwyth, and in the rural deanery of Llanbadarn fawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Deiniol (Daniel) is an edifice of stone,consisting of chancel, nave, western porch, and an embattled tower containing one bell: it was restored in 1883-7, at a cost of £895, and affords 192 sittings. The registers of baptisms and burials date from the year 1776, marriages 1754. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £4, gross yearly value £120, net £109, in the gift of George Green Price esq. and Capt. Vaughan alternately, and held since 1889 by the Rev. John Morgan Lewis, of St. David's College, Lampeter.
There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
The manor is vested in the Crown. The principal landowners are the Rev. W. H. Sinnett, Llangunider and the Rev. J. M. Lewis.
The soil is clay; chief crops, oats. The area is 2,022 acres; rateable value, £1,226; the population in 1891 was 212.
Letters are delivered at 10.30 a.m. from Llanshystyd R..S.O. Cardiganshire.which is the nearest money order & telegraph office
National School (mixed), built in 1827 for 70 children.; average attendance, 35 ; the school has an endowment of £20 per annum; David Rowland Jones, master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 8 November 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996