GENUKI Home page upLlanbddewi Aber-Arth Contents Contents

 

 

Llanddewi Aber-Arth chapels

 

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (Feb 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

 Other sources

 

Baptist

Siloam Baptist chapel, North Rd, Aberaeron

  • Siloam Baptist chapel, North Rd, Aberaeron            SN4606963006           Chapel dated 1872, rebuilt 1881/2           Closed 1976.          (1)
  • Welsh Baptist chapel, Aberayron      Seats 200     1895 (6)

 

Congregational

Peniel Welsh Ind chapel, Peniel Lane / Water St, Aberaeron

  •  Peniel Welsh Ind chapel, Peniel Lane / Water St, Aberaeron          SN4587762808         Started 1810/11, chapel built 1833/4; enlarged 1857 & 1897       Members; 350 in 1873      Early ministry of Dr T Phillips     Records;   1.  register of members 1816-58  NLW  Burials 1813-28, list of members  1811-54  NLW          2. baptismal register of Neuaddlwyd and this chapel 1791-1878   NLW?         Still open 1998            (1) & (4)
  • Peniel         Ind               Erected in 1833          William Evans, Minister     1851  (2)
  • Peniel Cong, Aberaeron      Bapts 1791-1896  NLW       (3)
  • Peniel Welsh Ind, Aberaeron           Opened 1833, still open in 1992      (7)
  • Welsh Cong chapel, Aberayron     Rev William Evans      Seats 400    1895 (6)           and Rev Thomas Gwilym Evans   Seats 800    1910  (5)

 

Methodist

Bethel Welsh CM chapel, Aberarth village

  • Bethel Welsh CM chapel, Aberarth village           SN4788363868               Built 1790, rebuilt 1805 & 1846, renewed 1900.       Members; 145 in 1902           Records;    1. births and bapts 1818-36  PRO & in IGI       2. membership rolls   1812-26  NLW                Still open 1998                (1) & (4)
  • Bethel, Aberarth   CM          Erected before 1800, rebuilt in 1803        Thomas Evans, Minister      1851  (2)
  • Bethel CM         Bapts 1816-36   PRO       (3)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  • Still open in 2006
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

Tanybryn CM chapel, Tanybryn

  • Tanybryn CM chapel         SN48436147            Started c.1815, chapel built 1864           Schoolroom built 1834.       Members;  30 in 1902        Records;  see Bethel this parish and Pennant, Llanbadarn Trefeglwys parish                Derelict by 1998              (1) & (4)
  • Tanybryn    CM                   Erected in 1830      John Phillips, Secretary     1851  (2)
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

Salem Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Aberaeron 

  • Salem Wesleyan chapel, Aberaeron     Bapts 1839-1973 NLW    (3)
  • Welsh Wesleyan chapel, Aberayron        Rev David Morgan       Seats 85      1895  (6)                and Rev William Thomas Roberts  (Lampeter circuit)      Seats 85   1910   (5)
  •  
  • Cause begun ca. 1812 & chapel built 1864 as Salem Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. Repaired 1902 & closed 1922; later converted to residential.
    Dedicated May 1958 as Catholic Church of the Holy Cross. Status (1998): in use as Catholic Church.  (Coflein)

Henfynyw Aberaeron - Wesleyan Methodists dwelling house

  • Weleyan Methodist chapel, Henfynyw       Cause began c 1812     Chapel built 1864        Records; see St Thomas chapel, Lampeter        (4)
  • Henfynyw Aberaeron - Wesleyan Methodists dwelling house             David Evans, Wesleyan Minister     1851  (2)
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS of a Salem Wesleyan chapel built in 1864, under  Aberaeron, OS grid reference  SN459630

These two entries believed to be the same place

Tabernacle Welsh CM chapel, Tabernacle St, Aberaeron

  • Tabernacle Welsh CM chapel, Tabernacle St, Aberaeron     SN457630        Built 1833; enlarged 1853 and again 1869, further additions 1897.  Sunday School founded 1807.    Members; 318 in 1902     Still open 1998    (1)  &  (4)
  • Tabernacle CM            Erected in 1833      "Most of our Congregation attend Sunday School, many that are on the Sunday School's books are mariners being seldom at home ........"    Benjamin Evans, Sec, Timber Merchant     1851  (2)
  • Welsh CM chapel, Aberayron        Rev Evan Morris and Rev James Thickens     Seats 800     1895  (6)
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS   (under Aberaeron)
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

 

Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 12 Sept 2013]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI