GENUKI Home page upLlanbddewibrefi Contents Contents

 

 

Llanddewibrefi chapels

 

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (Feb 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

 Other sources

 

Congregational

Bethlehem Welsh Ind chapel, Llanddewi Brefi

  • Bethlehem Welsh Ind chapel, Llanddewi Brefi             SN65995519         Chapel built 1904         Still open 1998        (1)
  • Congregational chapel built in 1903 with 250 sittings     1910  (5)
  • Llanddewibrefi Ind chapel    Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

 

Methodist

Bethesda Welsh CM chapel, Llanddewi Brefi

  • Bethesda Welsh CM chapel, Llanddewi Brefi        SN66235540       Started 1740s; chapel built 1780, rebuilt 1826, enlarged 1848, rebuilt again 1873     Members; 60 in 1819; 291 in 1902        Records; births and bapts 1826-37   PRO & in IGI          Still open 1998       (1) & (4)
  • Bethesda CM chapel, Llanddewibrefi, Gorwydd          Bapts 1826-37 PRO    (3)
  • Bethesda   CM      Erected in 1826        Rees Jones, Deacon, Pistyllgwyn, Llanddewi brefi P.O           1851    (2)   Gorwydd township

Capel Gwynfil, Welsh CM, Llangeitho   (Gwynfil township)

  • Capel Gwynfil, Welsh CM, Llangeitho    SN62055979     Started 1735 & chapel built 1760; rebuilt/modified 1764, 1813 & 1861/3     Further modified/rebuilt 1887.      Members; c 800 in 1746 Records;   1. births and bapts 1820-37 PRO & in IGI         2. register of members 1854-67  NLW      3. Sunday school register 1859-67  NLW       4. account book c 1824-c 1836 with data ere S/sch pupils  NLW     5. School class registers  1879-90   NLW                Still open 1998    (1) & (4)
  • Chapel Gwynfil alias Chapel Llangeithio     CM    Erected in 1760, rebuilt in 1813      "The late Revd. Daniel Rowlands was turned out of the Established Church of Llangeithio in 1763 and his congregation built for him the chapel and joined under his Ministry and was called Calvinistic Methodist and the chapel was called Chapel Llangeithio on account that Rowlands was called Rowlands Llangeithio, though the Chapel are in Township of Gwynfil Parish of Llanddei Brefi"     David Jones, Deacon, Tyndolanbach       1851  (2)  Gwynfil township
  •  
  • Capel Gwynfil, CM, Llangeitho, Gwynfil       Bapts 1748, 1798, 1820-1913  NLW   Bapts 1798-1837  PRO    (3)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  • Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Gwynfil (Cal.Meth., 1917-59)
  •  
  • Gwynvil township; "A chapel, dedicated to St. Gwynvil, which formerly existed here, is now in ruins."   Lewis 1833
  • Llangeitho " There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and in the village is a statue of the Rev. Daniel Rowlands, founder of that sect"       1895   (6)
  • Rev Daniel A Jones CM  living at Glynn, Llangeitho      1895  (6)
  • "Gwynfil, a township in this parish (Llanddewibrefi) contains the village of Llangeitho..."    1910  (5)
  • CM chapel, LLanddewibrefi  with 800 sittings        Rev Rees Morgan CM minister             1910  (5)
  • Evans, Heber A. Capel Gwynfil, Llangeitho 1762-1962. "Y Gwyrthiau Gwynt" [Gwynfil Chapel, Llangeitho 1762-1962 " The Miracles of the Wind". Llanbedr; Caxton Press, 1962 [LDS GS 994004]
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS  (under Llangeitho)
  • Capel Gwynfil  - Still open in 2006.

This chapel is listed here as shown in Rawlins under Llanddewi Brefi parish, and the OS grid reference puts it in Gwynfil township which is/was also in Llanddewi Brefi parish.
The NLW describes it as being in Llangeitho  - but in Gwynfil township
Also  see sources (2) & (6) above

 

  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

Gogoyan Schoolroom, CM, Llanddewi Brefi

Llanio Welsh CM Sunday school, Llanddewi Brefi

  •  Llanio Welsh CM Sunday school, Llanddewi Brefi             SN64185695          School chapel built late C19th         Still in use 1998      (1)

Soar-y-mynydd Welsh CM chapel, Llanddewi Brefi

  • Soar-y-mynydd Welsh CM chapel, Llanddewi Brefi              SN78475328         Started 1747, chapel built 1828. Late C19th alterations & school added pre-1947.        Members; 40 in 1819;  58 in 1902            Records;  births and bapts 1824-28  PRO & in IGI               Still open 1998      (1) & (4)
  • Soar  CM                Erected in 1828           Nathanial Williams, Deacon, Bronhelen, Caron uwch clawdd          1851   (2)   Dothie Camddwr township
  • Soar-y-mynydd CM, Doethie Camddwr        Bapts 1811-35 PRO     (3)
  •  
  • Richards, E E (Lynne). Soar y Mynydd. Cardiganshire FHS journal, vol 3/9, Oct 2004.
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

 

Miscellaneous

Wern-Driw Quaker Meeting, Llanfair Rd, Llanddewi Brefi    (Gorwydd township)

  • Wern-Driw Quaker Meeting, Llanfair Rd, Llanddewi Brefi      SN65645479      Quaker burial ground only, no building.             (1)
  • Quakers, Wern Driw, Gorwydd    Burials 1781-90           at Glamorgan RO     (3)
  • Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Werndriw (Quakers, 1784).
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 16 Oct 2011]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI