GENUKI Home page up Llandyfriog Contents Contents

 

Kelly's Directory

South Wales 1895

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.


Llandyfriog

Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, on the road from Cardigan to Lampeter and on the river Teifi, 2 1/2 miles east from Newcastle Emlyn terminal station, on the branch from Pencader junction on the Great Western railway, 12 south-east-by-east from Cardigan, 16 south-west-by-west from Lampeter and 260 from London, in Troedyraur hundred, Newcastle Emlyn union and county  court district. Penrhywpal petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Sub-Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.

The church of St. Tyfriog; rebuilt in 1890, at a cost of 1,350, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and a western tower containing 2 bells: there are 138 sittings. The registers date from the year 1725, and include those of Llanfair Treflygen. The living is a vicarage,with the chapelry of Llanfair Treflygen annexed, tithe rent-charge here 87, joint net income 219, with 105 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1892 by the Rev. David Davies Evans, B.D. of St. David's College, Lampeter.

There are several small woollen mills in the parish.

The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are C. H. L. Fitzwilliam esq., W. O.Brigstocke esq., Saunders Davies esq. of Pentre and Colonel Lloyd of Llysaeron.

The soil and subsoil is gravel and slate. The land is principally under pasturage. The area is 2,891 acres, of which 36 are water; the population in 1891 was 830.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Davies.

Letters through Newcastle Emlyn, which is the nearest  money order & telegraph office, are received at 9.30 a.m.; dispatched at 12 noon

This parish is included in Kenarth United District School Board

Residents


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 17  November 2003]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.