The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish and village in the county of Cardigan, on the river Teifi, 2 1/2 miles from Kilgerran station on the Whitland and Cardigan section of the Great Western railway, 4 1/4 south-east-by-south from Cardigan, and 269 from London, in Troedyraur hundred, union and county court district of Cardigan, petty sessional division of Lower Troedyraur, rural deanery of Subalton, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Dygwydd, rebuilt in 1857, is an edifice of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, south porch, and a western tower with spire, containing 5 bells, recently hung: the church was decorated in 1882, and affords 265 sittings. The registers date from the year 1613. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £300, net £270, with 4 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1874 by the Rev, David Francis B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter. The Mission chapel (Capel Tygwydd), was erected in 1882, at a cost of £800, and affords 180 sittings.
There are also Congregational and Methodist chapels.
The principal seats are Blaenpant, the residence of Mrs. Brigstocke, Penylan, of Morgan Jones esq., and Noyadd Trefawr, of Captain Webley-Parry-Pryse. Mrs. Brigstocke is the principal landowner, but there are several small freeholders
The land is chiefly in pasturage. The area is 5,494 acres, rateable value £4,105, and the population in 1891 was 880.
Parish Clerk & Assistant Overseer, Thomas Thomas.
Llechryd is the nearest Post Office, M. O. & T. O. Letters received through Boncath R.S.O. Pembrokeshire
National School (mixed), and Infants, erected in 1834, for 120 children; average attendance, 86; William Pugh, master; Mrs. Richard, infants' mistress.
- Bowen, George B.; Stradmore
- Brigstocke, Mrs. M.; Blaenpant
- Brigstocke, William Owen; Parkygors
- Davies, Rev. Wm, Francis B.A. (curate St. Dygwydd}; Brynybaeth
- Evans, Rev. David (Cong.); Bronwylfa
- Evans, Owen Picton; Llybwla
- Francis, Rev. David B.A. (vicar); The Parsonage
- Griffiths, Mrs.; Llwynduras
- Jones, Morgan; Penylan
- Summers, Mrs.; Manarafed
- Webley-Parry-Pryse, Capt.Jn.Edward; Noyadd Tref awr .
- Williams, Rev. Hy.H. (Cong.); Aberifed
- James, Jas. carpenter; Penbontharwaen
- James, Jn., carpenter; Ffynonddwrgi
- Jones, John; Penllwyndu P.H.
- Lodwick, David, cooper; Clynllwyd
- Morris, Benjamin; Noyaddcross PH
- Thomas, John, blacksmith; Penllwyndu
- Thomas, Thomas, boot maker & assistant overseer & parish clerk
- Williams, William, draper; Llanawmore
- Bowen, Thomas; Danygraig
- Brown, Henry; Pentregwine
- Davies, Evan; Tavernbugail
- Davies, Evan; Troedyrhawfergan
- Davies, John; Fronghyd
- Davies, John; Hafod
- Davies, John; Trecwn
- Edwards, David; Penwenallt
- Evans, Daniel; Alltycadno
- Evans, John; Parkybig
- Evans Owen; Coedycwmassaf
- Evans, Owen; Penfai
- Evans, Richard; Cryngamawr
- Evans, Thomas; Penwernfach
- Evans Thomas; Llwynduris
- George, Enos Frederick; Bailey
- George, Samuel; Coedycwnuchey
- George, Thomas; Tyddyndu
- George, William; Penwernfawr
- Griffiths, James, Penlanfach
- James, Stephen; Ffynoncrapil
- Jones, Daniel; Hirwaenmill
- Jones, Walter; H. ; Scotlandhill
- Jones, William; Penybank
- Lloyd, Dennis; Blaenaddfed
- Lloyd, John Phillip; Penralltybae
- Miles, James; Blaenpantmill
- Owen, Reece; Lan
- Phillips, William, Crynganewydd
- Phillips, William; Danralltgudd
- Price, John; Penybank
- Reece, John; Rhipanllwyd
- Richards, David; Ffynonddewi
- Thomas Jane (Mrs.); Typoeth
- Thomas, Margt.(Mrs.);Troedyrhawson
- Thomas, Samuel; Berllan
- Williams, Joshua; Penygraig
[Gareth Hicks: 17 November 2003]