GENUKI Home page up Llandysul Contents Contents

 

Kelly's Directory

South Wales 1895

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.


Llandyssil

Is a small town and parish in Cardiganshire, bounded on the east and south by the river Teifi, which, here divides the county from Carmarthenshire, and has a station on the branch line from Carmarthen junction of the Great Western railway, which now terminates at Newcastle Emlyn. The town is 248 miles from London, 14 south from Aberystwith, 18 east from Cardigan, 18 north from, Carmarthen and 42 north-west from Swansea; in the hundreds of Troedyraur and Moyddyn, petty sessional division of Llandyssil, Newcastle Emlyn union and county court district, rural deanery of Sub Ayron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's;  it is lighted with oil lamps, and is supplied with water from wells.

The church of St.Tyssul is an edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells: the church was restored in 1874, at a cost of 2330, and affords 450 sittings: on a stone, forming part of the entrance to the churchyard, is an inscription of the 6th century. The register dates from the year 1722. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 270, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1868 by the Rev. William George Jenkins, of St. Bees.

St. David's chapel of ease, erected in 1886, at a cost of 1,050, stands on the banks of the river Clettwr, about 3 miles from Llandyssil; St. John's, on the same river, about 5 miles from Llandyssil; St. Ffraids is in the vale of Cerdin and about 3 miles from Llandyssil.

In the parish are several small woollen factories and yarn spinners ; a market is held every Tuesday for the sale of farm produce and stock.

The " Porth," " King's Head" and the " Wilks Head" are the principal hotels, and each has private fishing rights.

The principal seats are Waunifor, the property of Charles Lloyd esq. M.A., D.L., J.P.; Llysnewydd, the seat of Lieut.-Col. William Price Llewellyn Lewes D.L., J.P.; Mount Gernos, the seat of Gwinnett George Tyler esq. J.P. ; & Bronwydd, of Sir Marteine Owen Mowbray Lloyd bart. D.L., J.P.  

Sir Marteine Owen Mowbray Lloyd bart. is lord of the manor, the principal landowners being Mrs. Lewes, Charles Home Lloyd Fitzwilliams esq., Lieut.-Col. William Price Llewellyn Lewes, James John Lloyd esq., Capt. James Stewart and Mrs. Jones, of Gellifaharen.

The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and potatoes. The area is 17,556 acres; rateable value, 7,939; the population of the entire civil parish in 1891 was 3,034, and of the ecclesiastical, 600.

Parish Clerk, Edward Thomas

Sexton, Evan Davies.

Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office.---Richard Morgan Davies, postmaster. Letters arrive from London & all parts at 7.10 a.m.; dispatched: at 10.30 a.m. & 4.15 & 8.20 p.m. North mail, arrives at 12.50 p.m.; dispatched at 10.30 a.m. & 4.15 p.m. On sundays letters arrive by mail cart from Carmarthen at 8.7 a.m. & are dispatched at 4.30 p.m. Office hours, 8 a.m. till 8 p.m.

Wall Box, Pontwelly, cleared at 10 a.m. 4 & 8 p.m.; sunday, 2.15 p.m

Mail Cart leaves for New Quay at 7 a.m. & returns at 4.30 p.m

Post Office, Penbontshan.--- David Evans, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Llandyssil at 9.20 a.m. & are dispatched at 2.10 p.m

Cardiganshire Magistrates for the Petty Sessional Division of Llandyssil

Clerk to the Magistrates, John H. Evans, Newcastle-Emlyn

Petty Sessions are held at the Porth Hotel, Llandyssil and Eagle inn, Llanfihangelararth, alternately on the last Wednesday in every month. The places included in the Petty Sessional Division are Llandyssil & Bangorteify

Carmarthenshire Magistrates for Llanfihangelararth Petty Sessional Division.

Clerk to the Magistrates, John Henry Evans, Newcastle Emlyn

Petty Sessions are held at the Porth hotel, Llandyssil, & at the Eagle inn, Llanfihangelararth alternately on last Wednesday in each month at noon. The following places are included in the division: Llanfihangelararth, Llanllwni, Llanfihangel-rhos-y-corn, Llanybyther & Brechfa

Rural District Council.

Public Officers.

Places of Worship, with times of services.

Schools.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in the parish 1st Mar. 1876; the British School was taken over by this board; there are also three other schools under the same authority; E. Jones, clerk to the board; Thomas Rees, Llandyssil & Thomas Lloyd, Blaencathal, attendance officers.

Railway Station, James John Jones, station master

Omnibus to Newcastle Emlyn & Cardigan, 7 a.m. & 4.15 p.m.; returning from Cardigan, 7.30 a.m. & 1.10 p.m

Carrier's to:---

Private Residents

Commercial


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 21  November 2003]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI