Llanfair Clydogau Contents
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, and in the upper part of the valley of the Teifi, 3 3/4 miles north-east from Lampeter station on the Manchester and Milford railway, 13 south-east from Aberayron, and 30 south from Aberystwith, in Moyddyn hundred, Lampeter union and county court district, Upper Moyddyn petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Lampeter, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Mary, erected in 1888, at a cost of £1,225, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a tower with spire containing 1 bell: there are 160 sittings. The registers of baptisms and burials date from the year 1748; marriages 1755: the registers of Langybi date from 1748. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Llangybi, tithe rent-charge £156, with 40 acres of glebe, joint net income £170, in the gift of William Jones esq. and held since 1894 by the Rev. John Nathan Jones B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter.
There are Calvinistic and Independent chapels.
Wilmot Inglis Jones esq. is the principal landowner.
The soil is gravelly; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 4,487 acres, of which 29 are water; rateable value, £1,812; the population in 1891 was 512.
Parish Clerk, Daniel Jenkins
Letters through Lampeter R.S.O. Cardiganshire, are received at 10.40 a.m.; dispatched at 12.30 p.m
A School Board of 5 members was formed 25 Nov. 1875; D. Evans, Lampeter, clerk to the board
Board School (mixed), built for 180 children; average attendance, 100
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 23 November 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996