The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, 2 1/2 miles from Trawscoed station and 3 from Llanilar station, both on the Manchester and Milford railway, and 6 1/2 south-east from Cardigan, in Ilar hundred, Aberystwyth union and county court district, petty sessional division of Upper Ilar, and in the rural deanery of Llanbadarn Fawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Michael is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch, and a tower containing one bell : the church has been restored, and affords 340 sittings. The registers of baptisms and burials date from the year 1781, marriages, from 1786. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £181, average £138, net income £114, with 14 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1888 by the Rev. John Pryce Evans, of St. Bees.
At Llantrisant is St. Michael's chapel of ease, a small and lonely building, long in ruins, but restored in 1883, at a cost of £600, and affording 110 sittings.
There are Calvinistic Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The famous Devil's bridge and the Mynach falls are in the eastern part of this parish; for descriptive particulars, see Aberystwyth.
Penywern, the residence of Frederick Richard Roberts esq. is a modern mansion in the Gothic style. The manorial rights belong to the Crown. The Earl of Lisburne, T. J. Waddingham, esq., W. B. Powell esq. , J. G. W. Bonsall esq. , and F. R. Roberts esq. are the principal landowners.
The soil is a light loam; subsoil, shale. The chief crops are oats and barley.
The area for Upper and Lower Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn is 22,553 acres, rateable value £7,075; the population in 1891 was 1799.
Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office,--- Henry Wright, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Aberystwyth at 11 a.m.; dispatched at 2.15 p.m.; postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Wall Letter Box at Cwnchcoch cleared 2 p.m. week days only
Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Abermagwr, or Crosswood.---Joseph Jones, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Aberystwyth at 10 a.m; dispatched at 3.55 p.m. Nearest telegraph office, Llanilar .
A School Board of 5 members was formed 9 August, 1887; James Rattray, clerk to the board; Enoch Evans, attendance officer.
School transferred to the board in 1887; it will hold 150 children; average attendance, 80; Richard Davies, master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 23 November 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996