GENUKI Home page up Llanfihangel Genau'r-Glyn Contents Contents

 

Kelly's Directory

South Wales 1895

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (December 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.


Llanfihangel Geneu'r-Glyn

Is an extensive parish in the county of Cardigan, 6 miles from Aberystwith station on the Cambrian and Manchester and Milford railways, and 215 from London by road or 236 by rail, in Geneu'r Glyn hundred, Aberystwith union and county court district, petty sessional division of Upper Geneu'r Glyn, and in the rural deanery of Llanbadarn Fawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.

The church of St. Michael, rebuilt an 1885-6, at a cost of 1,950, on the site of the ancient Norman church, is an edifice in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, porch and a turret with spire, containing one bell: there are 289 sittings. The registers date from the year 1735. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge 285, net income 300, with 11 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1885 by the Rev. James Martin Griffiths, of St. Aidan's, and J.P. who resides at Cyfoeth-y-Brenin.

St. Matthew's, a chapel of ease to the parish church, was erected in 1880, at a cost of 2,600.

There is a Methodist chapel.

There are charities of the yearly value of 12 and 8 respectively for the education of the children of the parish. Near the church are some Roman remains and there are Roman roads in the parish.

The manorial rights belong to the Crown, and the principal landowners are Sir Pryse Pryse bart. and Miss Lewis, Borth.

The soil is sandy. The chief crops are barley and oats. The area is 20,000 acres; the population in 1891 was 2,683

Parish Clerk, David Hughes

Post Office, Llanfihangel.---Thomas Jones, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Borth R.S.O. which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.10 p.m

A School Board of 13 members was formed in 1879 for the united districts of Cyfoeth-y-Brenin, Cynnill Mawr & Tyr-y-Mynach; clerk to the board, R. R. Morgan; Richard Jones & John Williams, attendance officers

Board School, erected in 1879, for 200 children; average attendance, 105; John Morgan Williams, master; Miss Mary Davies, infants' mistress

Railway Station, John Morgan, station master.

 

Ceulan-y-Maesmawr

Is a township. The area is 7,297 acres of land and 30 of water; rateable value 2,260; the population in 1891 was 692.

Cyfoeth-y-Brenin

Is a township, 4 miles north of Aberystwyth, half a mile from the station on the Cambrian line at Llanfihangel. The inhabitants attend the church at Llanfihangel Geneu'r Glyn, the vicarage of which is situated in this township. The area is 2,364 acres; rateable value, 3,567; the population in 1891 was 1,003.

Cynnull Mawr

Is a township. The area is 3,746 acres; rateable value, 2,376; the population in 1891 was 465

Henllys

Is a township, 3 miles north of Llanfihangel station on the Cambrian railway. The area is 3679 acres; rateable value, 2,227 ; the population in 1891 was 321.

Tyr-y-Thynach

Is a township.The area is 2,651 acres of land and 50 of water; rateable value 930; the  population in 1891 was 290.

Letters received through Bow Street R.S.O

 

Ceulan-y-Maesmawr

Residents

Davies, Rev. John (Independent); Bwlchydderwen

Davies, John Maurice J.P.; Penpompren

Fell, Joseph, lead mine; Glairhir

Morgan, Jn. mllr. (water) ; Penpompren

Farmers

Cyfoeth-y-Brenin

Griffiths, Rev. James Martin J.P. (vicar of Llanfihangel-geneu'r-glyn); Vicarage

Commercial

Farmers

Cynnull Mawr

Commercial

Farmers

Henllys

Farmers

Tir-y-Mynach

Commercial

Farmers


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 2 December 2003]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional  

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI