The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (March 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
SCYBOR-Y-COED (or Eglwys Fach), formerly a township and chapelry in the parish of Llanfihangel Geneu-r-Glyn, is a parish and village on the road from Aberystwyth to Machynlleth, in the county of Cardigan, 1 mile south from Glan Dovey station on the Cambrian railway, 12 north-by-east from Alberystwyth, and 6 south from Machynlleth, in the hundred of Geneu-r-Glyn, petty sessional division of Geneu-r-Glyn Upper, union and county court district of Machynlleth (Mont.), and in the rural deanery of Llanbadarnfawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of of St. Edwin, or Michael, partially rebuilt in 1834, is an ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell: it has 318 sittings. The registers date only from 1865 ; earlier entries are in the registers of Llanfihangel Geneu-r-Glyn.The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £98, with residence in the gift of Mrs. Paddock, and held since 1878 by the Rev. William John Wooding, of Queen's College, Birmingham.
There are Calvinistic Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
There is a large slate quarry.
Glandovey Castle is the seat of Charles Jeffreys esq. Sir Pryse Pryse bart. is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Soil is peat and clay, on subsoil of sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area comprises 10,342 acres of land and 61 of water; rateable value, £2,816; the population in 1891 was 418.
Parish Clerk, George Morgan.
Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Glandovey.--- John Davies, postmaster. (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Cardiganshire added). Letters from the north arrive at 6.33 a.m. & from the south 6.45 a.m.; dispatched at, north 6.45 p.m.; south, 6.50 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Machynlleth. Wall Letter Box at Furnace cleared 6 p.m
A School Board of 5 members was formed 16th April, 1862; John Jones, clerk to the board
Board School, built in 1873, for 120 children; average attendance, 63; Hugh Francis Owen, master
- Jeffreys, Charles; Glandovey castle
- Paddock, Mrs; Ynishir
- Wooding, Rev William John (vicar); Eglwys fach
- Davies, Jn, shopkeeper; Eglwys fach
- Davies, John, station & postmaster; Glandovey
- Evans, Edwd, shopkeeper; Eglwys fach
- Jenkin & Jones, quarry owners
- Davies, Daniel; Penrhyrhingeinion
- Davies, David; Cefnweiriog
- Davies, Evan; Bronwean
- Davies, John; Tynygarth
- Davies, John ; Ynyseidiol
- Davies, Richard (& assistant overseer); Furnace farm
- Edwards, Morgan; Bwlcheinion
- Edwards, Owen; Cwmeren
- Evans, John; Llwyngwynan
- Evans, John; Wenffriod
- Evans, William; Melindwr
- Hughes, Rees; Cwmrheiadfach
- James, David; Cefngoch
- Jenkins, David; Maescillin
- Jenkins, Evan; Caerhedyn
- Jenkins, Thomas; Talanacinion
- Jenkins, William; Ynysgrugog
- Jones, Daniel; Taefforddfawr
- Jones, David; Tyhir
- Jones, Evan; Dolaneglwys
- Jones, John; Ynishir
- Jones, Lewis; Penybybren
- Jones, Mary (Mrs.); Brwyno
- Jones, Morgan; Eglwsfach
- Lewis, Humphrey; Garreg farm
- Prichard, David; Golgoch
- Pugh, John; Alltddu
- Rees, Thomas; Melinycwm
[Gareth Hicks: 1 March 2004]