The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (December 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, on the river Aeron, 4 miles west from Tregaron station, and 6 north-west from Llanio Road station, both on the Manchester and Milford railway, in the hundred and petty sessional division of Penarth, county court district of Lampeter, union of Tregaron, and in the rural deanery of Ultra Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Ceitho is a new building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, and western tower, with spire, containing 1 bell; the church affords 200 sittings; the register dates from the year 1749. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £115, average £89, net income £125, with 18 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St David's, and held since 1889 by the Rev. David Worthington of St David's College, Lampeter.
There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and in the village is a statue of the Rev. Daniel Rowlands, founder of that sect.
Cornelius le Brun Powell esq. is lord of the manor. Mrs. Samuel Evans and Arch Rowlands esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; chief crops, barley and oats. The area comprises 4,117 acres of land, 21 of water; the population in 1891 was 564; rateable value of Llangeitho and Gwynfil £3,183.
Gwynfil is a township. The area is 1,533, the population in 1891 was 320.
Post & M. O. O. & S. B, & Annuity & Insurance Sub-Office. --- David Morgan, sub-postmaster. Letters are received from Llanio R.S.O. Cardiganshire at 12.45 p.m. & dispatched at 2 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Tregaron
British School (mixed), built in 1869, for 150, children; average attendance, 99; Edward Jones, master
- Davies, Thomas; Gwynfil house
- Jones, Rev. Daniel A. (Calvinistic Methodist); Glynn
- Worthington, Rev. David (vicar)
- Davies, David & Son, tailors
- Davies, David, butcher; Ffynongeitho
- Davies, Evan, tailor
- Evans, Evan, boot maker
- Evans, Morgan, carpenter; Llydiardmaengwyn
- Jenkins, Daniel, grocer & ironmonger
- Jones, Evan, grocer
- Jones, John, mason
- Jones, Roderick, blacksmith
- Morgan, David, deputy registrar of births, deaths & marriages, Llangeitho sub-district, Tregaron union; Erw
- Morris, Mary Ann (Mrs.); Rose inn
- Morris, Rees, tailor
- Rowlands, Rees, registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Llangeitho sub-district, Tregaron union; Tyndolau
- Williams, Herbert, grocer & draper
- Davies, Evan; Wenallt
- Davies, John; Gilfachgwyddil
- Davies, Nathaniel; Pendintir
- Davies, Peter; Caerllngest
- Davies, William; Goyallt,Gwynfil
- Evans, Margrt. (Mrs.); Parcangwynion
- Evans, Samuel; Cwmgwenin
- Jenkins, John; Bryncethin
- Jones, Evan; Penrallt
- Jones, John; Cefngwyddil
- Jones, Rachel (Mrs.); Ffosfelen
- Jones, William; Tower hill
- Lewis, John; Dolan bach
- Morgan, David; Erw
- Rowlands, John; Tyndolau
- Rowlands, Rees; Tyndolau
- Rowlands, William; Cwrt farm
- Thomas, John; Cilrhyg
- Thomas,William; Lissillt
- Williams, D.; Efailfach
[Gareth Hicks: 3 December 2003]