The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (December 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish in the county of Cardigan on the shore of Cardigan Bay, 10 miles north from Newcastle Emlyn terminal station of the branch from Pencader junction of the Great Western railway, 7 south-west from New Quay, 12 north-east from Cardigan, 13 south-west from Aberayron and 280 from London, in the Moyddin hundred, Newcastle Emlyn union and county court district, Penrhywpal petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Glyn Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St David's.
The church of St Caranog is an edifice of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel,nave, south porch and a turret with spire, containing 2 bells : the church was restored in 1885, at a cost of £1,030, and affords 150 sittings. The registers date from the year 1660. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £240, average £179, net income £240,with 60 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1892 by the Rev. Daniel Griffiths.
There are Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist and Independent chapels.
In the neighbourhood are several small weaving factories.
Pigeon's Ford, a mansion above the village, is the seat of Mrs. Frederick. The principal landowners are Lieut. R. P. Jordan and Mrs. Davies of Pentre. The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley and some portion of the land is under pasturage. The area is 4,341 acres, rateable value, £2,040; the population in 1891 was 784.
Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B;, Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office,--- David Griffiths, sub-postmaster. Letters through Llandyssil, arrive at 10.45 a.m.; dispatched at 1.20 p.m
Parochial School, built for 120 children; average attendance, 80
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 4 December 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996