Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Llangrannog - Extract from 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' by Samuel Lewis 1833

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

Llangrannog - Extract from 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' by Samuel Lewis 1833

"LLANGRANOG (LLAN-GARANOG), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of MOYTHEN, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 20 miles (W. by N.) from Lampeter, containing 921 inhabitants. This place derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Caranog, who flourished towards the close of the sixth century, and is said to have had a small chapel or oratory among the rocks on this part of the coast, where he spent his days in religious seclusion. The parish is pleasantly situated on the shore of Cardigan bay, by which it is bounded on the north-west, and on the turnpike road from Cardigan to Aberystwith. The village is seated in a deep dingle, sheltered by hills on each side, and opening at one extremity towards the sea; and its situation on the open bay of Cardigan, affording excellent opportunities for sea-bathing, occasionally attracts to it a few visitors during the summer season. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified; and from the higher grounds are obtained fine views, extending over the bay and the adjacent country. At some distance above the village stands Pigeonsford, the neat mansion of George Price, Esq., and formerly the seat of the family of Parry. The herring fishery is carried on here to a considerable extent during the season ;and in this trade from eight to ten small vessels are generally engaged, in the management of which from twenty to thirty men are employed. Below the village is a small creek, affording shelter to the craft employed in the fishery, and also a facility of communication with other places on the coast. A fair is held on May 27th.The living is a vicarage, not in charge, annexed to that of Llandysilio-gogo in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, endowed with £ 600 parliamentary grant. The great tithes are appropriated to the Treasurership of the Cathedral Church of St. David's. The church is a neat plain edifice, without either tower or spire, consisting of a nave and chancel, separated by a pointed arch : over the western door are the remains of an ornamented gallery, and the steps of the ancient rood-loft are still remaining: the font is square, and is supported by a circular pillar. A small but elegant vicarage-house has been recently built on the glebe land, at the expense of the present incumbent. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents. Above the small harbour is a rock, which, from its fancied resemblance to a large chair, has obtained the appellation of " Eisteddva Cranwg;" though by some writers the name is supposed to be derived from its having been anciently a place of meeting for the bards : and on the summit of an eminence in the immediate vicinity is a large tumulus, in form resembling an inverted pan, and thence called Pen Moel Badell. . The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £258.17."

[Gareth Hicks: 9 December 1999]