The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (December 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish and village on the south bank of the river Wyre, in the county of Cardigan, 4 miles south of Llanilar station on the Manchester and Milford railway, and 9 south-by-east of Aberystwyth, in the hundred of Ilar, petty sessional division of Ilar Upper, union and county court district of Aberystwyth, and in the rural deanery of Llanbadanfawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Ursula, was rebuilt in 1870 at a cost of £1,600, and consists of chancel, nave, porch and a turret containing one bell: there are 222 sittings. The registers of baptisms and burials date from the year 1729; marriages, 1755. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £226, net £220, with 65 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Miss R. C. Chichester, and held since 1887 by the Rev. David Jenkins, of St. David's College, Lampeter.
There are two Calvinistic Methodist chapels and a Congregational chapel.
The manor is vested in the Crown. The principal landowner is R. J. R. Loxdale esq. of Llanilar. The soil is clay. Chief crops, oats and barley and some land under pasture. The area comprises 3,925 acres; rateable value, £1,980; the population in 1891, was 466
Post Office.--- Richard Morgan, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Llanrhystyd R.S.O., which is also the nearest money order & telegraph office. Letters arrive at 10.45 a.m.; dispatched at 1.45 p.m.
This place is included in Llanrhystyd United School Board District
Board School (mixed), enlarged in 1880 for 74 children; average attendance, 48; Miss Margaret Samuel, mist.
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 7 December 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996