"LLANGYBY (LLAN-GYBI) , a parish in the upper division of the hundred of MOYTHEN, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/4 miles (N. N. E.) from Lampeter, on the road to Trêgaron, containing 275 inhabitants. The lands are in general enclosed and in a good state of cultivation, and the soil is tolerably fertile. This place formerly constituted a prebend in the collegiate church of Llandewy-Brevi, rated in the king's books at £1.6.8. The living is a perpetual curacy, consolidated with that of Llanvair Clydogau, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and in the alternate patronage of the Earl of Lisburne and Lord Carrington. The church, dedicated to St. Cybi, is a small edifice, consisting only of a nave and chancel. There are places of worship for Independents and Presbyterians : the latter is supposed to be the most ancient congregation of dissenters in the principality, having first assembled here about the year 1663. On a hill above the river Teivy is a large intrenchment, called Castell Goedtrêv but nothing is known either of its origin or history : it gives name to the farm on which it is situated. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £39.14."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]