GENUKI Home page upLlangybi Contents Contents

 

 

Llangybi chapels

 

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (March 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

 Other sources

 

Congregational

Ebeneser Welsh Ind chapel, Tynewydd,  Llangybi

  • Ebeneser Welsh Ind chapel, Tynewydd, Llangybi          SN61035323         First chapel built 1771/2, rebuilt/modified 1837-41,1852, 1859/60, 1890.        Records;  1. births & bapts 1821-37 PRO & in IGI     2. see Cilgwyn Wes. chapel        Still open 1998          (1) & (4)
  • Ebenezer Ind      Erected in 1772              David Stephens, Ind Minister     (listed under Lampeter)         1851  (2)
  • Ebenezer Cong   Bapts 1821-37  PRO   (3)
  • Ebenezer Welsh Ind chapel      Opened 1772    Births and bapts 1821-37 at Cer RO    (7)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  • D.T. Lloyd, E.D. Jones: Braslun o hanes Ebenezer, Llangybi, 1772-1972, (Llanbedr-Pont-Steffan, 1972), 31tt.   (8)

 

Methodist

Cilgwyn Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Llangybi

  • Cilgwyn Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Llangybi        SN60755301    One of oldest causes in CGN, an Independent chapel before the 1760s, drifted to Arminianism, became Wesleyan in 1863         Chapel first built c.1654, rebuilt 1825, 1840 & 1906.            Records;  1.  see Old Church book of Cilgwyn   NLW       2. births & bapts 1770-1885  NLW      3.  Deaths 1820-87  NLW    4. see Wesleyan circuit records in Wesley chapel, Lampeter             Not still open 1998 (Urdd meeting hall).          (1) & (4)
  • Cilgwyn Chapel   Arminian Presbyterians    "Established in 1654 and removed and rebuilded in 1840 in the same parish"            "This Place of Public religious Worship was first erected on part of Farm called Cilgwyn in the parish of Llangybi (as it was engraved on a stone on the front of the Building) in the year 1654. And now on a more convenient site on a part of a Farm called Penybanc in the same Parish and commonly called Cilgwyn Chapel"   Evan Lewis, Minister     1851   (2)
  • Cilgwyn Wesleyan    Bapts 1770-1885  NLW   Burials 1820-87  NLW   (3)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  • Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Cilgwyn (Wes.Meth., 1820-87).
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS

Maesyffynnon Welsh CM chapel, Llangybi

  • Maesyffynnon Welsh CM chapel, Maes-y-ffynnon, Llangybi      SN60575283       First chapel built 1795 in Betws Bledrws parish          Chapel built 1836/7 here, rebuilt 1881      Sunday School formed 1810.   Members; 35 in 1837, 68 in 1902              Still open 1998      (1) & (4)
  • Capel Ffynnon   CM       "Erected first in 1795 in the Parish of Bettws Bledrws, rebuilt in the Parish of Llangybi in 1838"                  John Jones, Manager      1851  (2)
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  • Still open in 2006.
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.
  
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 16 Oct 2011]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI