The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (December 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, with a station on the Manchester and Milford railway, 4 miles north from Lampeter, 24 from Aberystwyth, 25 from Carmarthen and 268 by rail from London, in Moyddin hundred, Moyddin Upper petty sessional division, Lampeter union and county court district, and in the rural deanery of Lampeter, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Cybi is an ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and a turret with spire, containing one bell: the east window is stained and the chancel retains sedilia: the church has been recently (1895) restored and affords 120 sittings. The registers date from the year 1748. The living is a perpetual curacy, yearly value £114, in the gift of William Jones esq. J.P. of Glandenys, and held since 1894 by the Rev. John Nathan Evans B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter.
There are Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist chapels.
Wilmot Inglis Jones esq. of Derry Ormond, who is lord of the manor, and William Jones esq. of Glandenys, are the principal landowners, The soil is light and slaty. Chief crops, wheat, oats and barley. The area is 2,502 acres; rateable value £1,137 ; the population in 1891 was 314.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Davies, Llety Cybi.
Letters are received through Derry Ormond R.S.O. Cardiganshire, at 12 noon; & dispatched at 2.10 p.m. Nearest post, money order & telegraph office at Lampeter
A School Board of 5 members was formed 6 March, 1876; E. J. Davis, clerk
Board School (mixed), built for 120 children ; average attendance, 70; John Davies, master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 7 December 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996