We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llangynfelyn chapels

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (March 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

  • 1.  The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
  • 2.   The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.      UWP,   Cardiff, 1976
  • 3.   Nonconformist Registers of Wales published by the National Library of Wales in 1994.
  • 4.   The Parish Churches and Nonconformist Chapels of Wales: Their Records and where to Find them, Vol. One, Cardigan - Carmarthen - Pembroke, by Rawlins, B.J. (1987).
  • 5.  Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 -  the Archive Cd Books Cd
  • 6.  Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 -  the Archive Cd Books Cd
  • 7.  My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.
  • 8.  Independent Chapels of Wales: History Books and Pamphlets by Huw Walters.
  • 9.  Death and Burial indexes available for purchase from Cardiganshire Family History Society
  • 10. Online Commercial & Residential Directories as appropriate to a particular parish - apart from what may already be on Genuki, see also the Historical Directories site

 Other sources

  • Dyfed FHS  - Photographs of chapels (may also be other data there)
  • Archives Network Wales
  • Lewis 1833 on Genuki  (Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 )

Independents

  • There was no Independent chapel in this parish but on the Llancynfelin  site are baptism entries for Llancynfelin people baptised in 1811-21  by Azariah Shadrach who was the minister at Bethel Ind chapel, Talybont and Capel Seion, Aberystwyth

Methodist

Rehoboth Welsh CM chapel, Tre Taliesin

  • Rehoboth Welsh CM chapel, Tre Taliesin           SN65769143              Started c1773, school built 1791, chapel (re)built 1833, 1899.         Members; 300 in 1850      Records;   1.  births & bapts 1821-36 PRO & in IGI         2. Register of bapts 1812-85  NLW        3. register of members 1845-1929   NLW      4. register of members 1858, 1871, 1874     NLW      5.   Sunday school register 1897-1914    NLW              Still open 1998    (1) & (4)
  • Rehaboth   CM            Erected in 1833          Thomas Davies, Elder, Taliesin    1851  (2)
  • Rehoboth CM  Tre Taliesin      Bapts 1812-36 PRO     Bapts 1812-85  NLW    (3)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  •  
  • On the Llancynfelin site for this chapel are;
    Baptisms 1812-1850  (inc. ministers' names)
    List of members 1859
    Annual Report and list of members 1949
    Pew Rent accounts (with names) - a few sample years between 1894 and 1975
  • Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Rehoboth (Cal.Meth., 1877-79, 1943, 1947, 1953).
Soar Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Tre'r-ddol
  • Soar Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Tre'r-ddol        SN65959215      Cause started 1804     First chapel built 1809 with burial ground, rebuilt 1845 , enlarged 1864, rebuilt 1877        Records;  see Aberystwyth circuit records  under Soar, Aberystwyth           Still open 1998    (1) & (4)
  • Soar  WM        Erected in 1806, rebuilt in 1845        Thomas Jones, Class Leader, Post Office, Taliesin      1851  (2)
  • Soar/ Hen Gapel  Wesleyan, Tre'r-ddol     Bapts 1835-1964    NLW      (3)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  •  
  • No graveyard
  •  
  • Rev Edward Jones, Wesleyan minister, Wesley Villa, Trerddol       1910   (5)
  •  
  • On the Llancynfelin site for this chapel are;
    Sunday school   Some years between  1842-56 -  List of teachers and statistics
    Members of classes 1871
    Trustees 1895
    Aberystwyth Wesleyan circuit.    Baptisms for Llancynfelin 1815-37  
    Articles from " Yr Eurgrawn Wesleyaidd" (The Wesleyan Treasury) which relate to this parish
  • On the Llancynfelin site is also a photograph of Hen Gapel, the original Wesleyan chapel before the new one was built in 1845
    The MIs for this chapel are transcribed here and cover the period 1845-1900  (21 of them)
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS  (New chapel)
  •  
  • Closed 2002
  

[Gareth Hicks: 16 Oct 2011]