The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description has been edited, place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, on the road from Aberystwith to Machynlleth, 3 miles from Ynyslas station, on the Cambrian railway, and 9 north-north-east from Aberystwith station, on the Cambrian and Manchester and Milford railways, hundred, union and county court district of Aberystwith, petty sessional division of Upper Geneu'r-Glyn, rural deanery of Llanbadarn fawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Cynvelin, restored in 1845, is an ancient building of stone, consisting of nave, aisles, transept, south porch, and a small turret, containing 1 bell. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1770; marriages, 1754; & burials, 1772. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £114, net £106, with one acre of glebe, in the gift of the bishop of St. David's as private patronage, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Griffith Roderick B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter.
There are Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The Clethor Valey in this neighbourhood is a great attraction to visitors, and about a mile west is Bedd Taliesin, the reputed burial place of the famous Welsh bard, Taliesin, who flourished in the 6th century. Lodge Park is the seat of Pryse Pryse Pryse esq. ; the mansion is a stone edifice, in a park of 100 acres, and commands fine views of the surrounding country; Sir Pryse Pryse bart. and the Bishop of St. David's are the chief landowners.
The soil is clayey. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 6,556 acres; the population in 1891 was 676.
Sexton, Lewis Davies.
Post Office. --- Mrs. Ann Pugh, sub-postmistress. Letters received through Glandovey R.S.O. at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. Talybont is the nearest M. O. & T. office
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1871 ; John Jones, clerk to the board; Richard Evans, attendance officer
Board School (mixed), erected in 1871, for 180 children; David Jones, master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 8 November 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996