The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (December 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish and village, in the county of Cardigan, on the river Istwyth, with a station on the Manchester and Milford railway, 6 miles south-east from Aberystwyth, in the hundred of Ilar, petty sessional division of Ilar Upper, county union and court district of Aberystwyth, and in the rural deanery of Llanbadarn fawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Hilary is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a low embattled western tower containing one bell: the church has a fine oak roof, and retains a good chancel screen; the church plate includes a curious chalice, with Swedish gold coins wrought into it, the gift of a Mr Parry, a member of the Diplomatic service, in the time of George IV.; the church was restored in 1874, at a cost of £1,300, and affords 158 sittings. The registers of baptisms and burials date from 1788; marriages, 1754. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Rhostie annexed; tithe rent-charge £199, average £147, joint net yearly value £190, with glebe (£71), and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1878 by the Rev. John Thomas. Griffiths B.D, of St. David's College, Lampeter, and rural dean of Llanbadarn fawr.
The charities consist of £8.5s, derived from the Richard Jones' bequest for National School purposes, and £7 from the same bequest, besides other smaller sums for distribution to the poor.
There are two chapels for Calvinistic Methodists.
Abermaed, the seat of Lewis Pugh Pugh esq. B.A., D.L., J.P. is a fine mansion, erected in 1871, from designs by Mr. Seddon, architect, and commands delightful views of the surrounding country. Castle Hill is the residence of Reginald James Rice Loxdale esq. ; Llidiarde, George Williams Parry esq. D.L., J.P. The Earl of Lisburne is lord of the manor,and principal landowner, with R. J. C. Loxdale esq. and George W. Parry esq.
The soil is clay. Chief crops, oats and barley. The area is 6,429 acres; rateable value, £4,246; the population in 1891 was 714.
Parish Clerk, John Davies.
Post, M. O. & T. O.,S. B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Cardiganshire added).--- Caleb Morgan, postmaster. Letters arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. week days only
Clerk to the Magistrates, Arthur Johnson Hughes, Portland street, Aberystwyth
Petty Sessions are held at the Schoolroom, the first friday in each month, at 11 a.m
The following places are included in the Petty Sessional division:-
Llanafan, Llanbadarn Upper, Llanbadarn Lower, Llanddeinol, Llanfihangel Upper, Llanfihangel Lower, Llangwyrfon, Llanilar, Llanychaiarn, Rhostie, Lledrod Upper, Lledrod Lower, Gwnnws Upper, Gwnnws Lower, Yspytty-Ystrad-Meurig & Yspytty-Ystwyth.
National School (mixed), built in 1860, for 80 children; average attendance, 50; S. Frederick Davies, master
Railway Station, Manchester & Milford Railway, Edward Lloyd, station master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 10 December 2003]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996