GENUKI Home page up Llanilar Contents Contents

 

Llanilar - Extract from "A Topographical Dictionary of Wales"
by Samuel Lewis 1833

"LLANILAR ( LLAN-ILAR), a parish consisting of the Upper and Lower divisions, each separately maintaining its poor, in the upper division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Aberystwith, containing 994 inhabitants, of which number, 482 are in the Upper, and 512 in the Lower, division. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church, is pleasantly situated on the southern bank of the river Ystwyth, and near the high road from Aberystwith to Cardigan. Part of it is hilly, though some is flat and liable to be flooded: the soil is in general shallow and dry, but produces good crops of corn, hay, &c. The surrounding scenery is in some parts pleasingly varied : within the parish are situated Birch Grove, the seat of Lord Vaughan, and Castle Hill, that of J. N. Williams, Esq. Fairs are held on March 14th, May 13th, July 8th, and November 14th. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at 6.13. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Hilary, and pleasantly situated on the bank of the river, near Aberystwith, is a low ancient structure in good repair, with a square massive tower at the west end : the body consists of a nave and chancel, formerly separated by an ancient carved screen of elegant design, which has been recently removed. There is a place of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists. Richard Jones, of the parish of St. Clement Danes, London, bequeathed 300 Bank Annuities, the dividends on which he directed to be paid to a proper person, being a member of the established church, for teaching six poor boys and six poor girls of this parish English, writing, and arithmetic: the same benefactor also left the interest of 200 to he distributed among the poor. The Rev. Mr. Edwards gave 40; the vicar of Marston upon Dove, in the county of Derby, in 1761, bequeathed 30 ; and, about the year 1756, Jenkin Philip gave 10, the interest of which sums is annually distributed among the poor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 248.4."

Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 9 December 1999]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI