Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Llanllwchaearn chapels

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llanllwchaearn chapels

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (March 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

  • 1.  The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
  • 2.   The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.      UWP,   Cardiff, 1976
  • 3.   Nonconformist Registers of Wales published by the National Library of Wales in 1994.
  • 4.   The Parish Churches and Nonconformist Chapels of Wales: Their Records and where to Find them, Vol. One, Cardigan - Carmarthen - Pembroke, by Rawlins, B.J. (1987).
  • 5.  Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 -  the Archive Cd Books Cd
  • 6.  Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 -  the Archive Cd Books Cd
  • 7.  My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.
  • 8.  Death and Burial indexes available for purchase from Cardiganshire Family History Society
  • 9. Online Commercial & Residential Directories as appropriate to a particular parish - apart from what may already be on Genuki, see also the Historical Directories site

 Other sources

  • Dyfed FHS  - Photographs of chapels (may also be other data there)
  • Archives Network Wales
  • Lewis 1833 on Genuki  (Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 )

Baptist

Bethel Welsh Baptist chapel, Margaret St, New Quay

  • Bethel Welsh Baptist, Margaret St, New Quay       SN3886459655        Chapel built 1849      Members; 120 in 1851            Still open 1998         (1) & (4)
  • Bethel, New Quay    Particular Baptist      Erected in 1849     Thomas Griffiths, Baptist Minister    1851  (2)
  •  
  • Baptist chapel, New Quay (English & Welsh)     Seats 300        1895 (6) &   1910  (5)
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  •  
  • Thomas, W. P; Hanes canrif achos y Bedyddwyr yn y Cei Newydd, SG, 1950, t. 33-41.

 

Independent

Capel-y-Towyn Ind chapel, New Quay

  • Towyn Welsh Ind chapel, New Quay       SN3872959718          Started 1858, chapel built 1860, rebuilt/modified 1865-9          Schoolroom built 1899 & organ chamber added 1909      Members; 291 in 1861        Still open 1998          (1) & (4)
  •  
  • Congregational chapel, Towyn                Seats c 600            1910   (5)
  • Congregational chapel, Towyn     Rev Owen Lloyd Owen         1895  (6)
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  •  
  • Index entry in Lewis, William John. New Quay and Llanarth .Aberystwyth, 1987
  • Index entry in Evans, Myra. Atgofion Ceinewydd [Newquay]. 1961 
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
Maenygroes Welsh Ind chapel, Maenygroes
  • Maen-y-groes Welsh Ind chapel, Maen-y-groes        SN3856358929        Preaching here for several years before chapel built 1828, enlarged 1873, rebuilt 1902       Burial ground added 1841    Members;  over 500 by 1860        Records; see Penrhiwgaled            Still open 1998          (1) & (4)         
  • Maesygroes, New Quay         Welsh Ind. or Cong.         Erected in 1828     "At 6 o'clock we have many meetings held occasionally for Divine Worship at different places in the neighbourhood"    Thomas Rees, Minister    1851  (2)
  • Man-y-groes Welsh Ind chapel            Opened 1828, still open 1992     (7)
  •  
  • Congregational chapel, Maen-y-groes  (English & Welsh)        Rev William Griffiths      Seats 380       1910  (5)
  • Congregational chapel, (English & Welsh)    Rev  William Griffiths       1895  (6)
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  •  
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
Penrhiwgaled Ind chapel, Maesnewydd Farm
  • Penrhiwgaled  Ind chapel, Maesnewydd Farm         SN39865635      Started c.1670, chapel built 1781, rebuilt c.1818 & 1828.     Ministry of Mr Evans, Trewen 1781-1818; Ministry of Daniel |Thomas, 1818-48         Records;  births & bapts 1818-37 PRO & in IGI           Not still open 1998         (1) & (4)
  • Penrhiwgaled Ind or Cong.           Erected before 1800           Thomas Richard, Deacon    1851  (2)
  • Penrhiwgaled Cong      Bapts 1818-37 PRO    (3)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS (Brynrhiwgaled, New Quay)
  •  
  • Index entry in Lewis, William John. New Quay and Llanarth .Aberystwyth, 1987
  •  
  • James, M Euronwy. Annibynwyr Pisgah a Phenrhiwgaled, Ceredigion [Pisgah and Penrhiwgaled Independent Churches, Cardiganshire]. Llandysul, 1971 {LDS GS 994004]

 

Methodist

Wesleyan Methodist chapel, New Quay

  • Wesleyan Methodist chapel, New Quay         Started 1806/7, chapel built 1812         Part of Lampeter circuit     Records; see Wesleyan chapel, Lampeter      Closed and bldg sold pre 1987 (4)

Penuel  CM chapel, Cross Inn

  • Penuel  CM chapel, Cross Inn              SN39015731            Started 1869; chapel built 1872 & rebuilt 1910.    Still open 1998    (1) & (4)
  • Penuel CM, Cross Inn          Bapts 1875-1971  NLW       (3)
  • Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Penuel (Cal.Meth., 1922-77).
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.
Tabernacle Welsh CM chapel, Glanmor Terrace, New Quay
  • Tabernacl Welsh CM chapel, Glanmor Terrace, New Quay         SN3893559821       Society started 1744; chapel built 1807, rebuilt/modified 1837, 1861 & 1867-9, interior remodelled 1926/7.    Members;  398 in 1902            Records; births & bapts 1815-37 PRO & in IGI                 Still open 1998    (1) & (4)
  • Tabernacle, New Quay    Welsh CM      Erected in 1897, rebuilt in 1837      Evan Jones, Minister    1851  (2)
  •  
  • CM chapel (English & Welsh).          Rev Gwilym Williams       Seats c 1000      1910  (5)
  • CM chapel, (English & Welsh)     Rev Joseph Jenkins     1895  (6)
  • Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes; Tabernacl (Cal.Meth., 1907-27)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  •  Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  •  
  • Index entry in Lewis, William John. New Quay and Llanarth .Aberystwyth, 1987
  • Index entry in Evans, Myra. Atgofion Ceinewydd [Newquay]. 1961 
  •  
  • Anon; Ail agor Tabernacl (MC) hanes yr achos, Welsh Gazette    May 26, 1927.
  • Evans, J; Hanes M. C. Ceinewydd, Hanes Methodistiaid Calfinaidd Rhan Ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi (Evans, John 1850-1917), t. 194-202.
  • James, Joshua; Some memories of Tabernacl Chapel, New Quay, Welsh Gazette May 25, 1961.
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

 

[Gareth Hicks: 16 Oct 2011]