The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a parish and village in the county of Cardigan, 3 1/4 miles south-east-by-east from Aberayron, 13 north-west-by-west from Lampeter station, on the Manchester and Milford railway, and about 18 north-east from Cardigan, in Moyddyn hundred, Aberayron union, county court district and petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Glyn Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Vylltyg is an ancient edifice of stone, of Norman date, and comprises chancel and nave, a south porch, and a tower with spire, containing 3 bells: the font is a work of the 11th century: the church was restored in 1870, and affords 320 sittings. Near the church is an ancient stone bearing a cross. The registers of baptisms and burials date from 1735; marriages, 1754. The living is a vicarage, with that of Llanina annexed, tithe rent-charge £382, average £222, net income £350, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1894 by the Rev.Thomas Meredith Williams B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter. The Church of the Holy Trinity, at Mydroilyn, erected in 1890, as a chapel of ease to St. Vylltyg's, is a structure of corrugated iron, lined with wood, and has 150 sittings.
There are also Calvinistic Methodist, Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The principal landowners are the Bishop of St. David's, Mrs. Longcroft and Lieut.-Col. the Hon. Cuthbert Ellison Edwardes.
The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats.
The area is 15,013 acres; rateable value, £5421; population in 1891 was 1,838.
Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office.--- James C. Jones, postmaster. Letters from the north through Aberayron received at 9.45 a.m. from the south through Llandyssil at 12.15p.m.; north mail dispatched at 12.55 p.m.; south mail at 1.40 p.m
A United District School Board of 9 members, for the parishes of Cydplwyf, Llanarth, Llandissilio-gogo & Llanina, with Henfynyw contributing 2 members, was formed 1 July, 1871; William Davies, clerk to the board; Evan James, attendance officer
Board School (mixed), built for 150 children; average, attendance, 120
- Evans, Hy. Tobit J.P., ; Neuadd Hall
- Hughes, Rev. Eynon, curate
- Lloyd, Rt. Rev Daniel Lewis (Lord Bishop of Bangor); Gwnfryn
- Williams, Rev. Thomas Meredith B.A.; Vicarage
- Davies, Margaret (Mrs.); Rose Hill Arms P.H. Rose hill
- Evans, Daniel Davies, shopkpr. ; Oakford
- Jones, James C. draper & post office
- Jones, John Jordan, maltster; Fronwen
- Morgans, John; Penbont inn
- Rees, Mary (Miss), dress ma. ; Rose hll
- Rees, William, corn & flour merchant; Beechwood
- Rees, Rees, stone cutter & assistant overseer; Tycoch
- Thomas, Daniel; Llanina Arms P.H
- Bayton, Thomas J; Pontbrendu
- Davies, Daniel; Nantsidill
- Davies, John; Baili
- Davies, Samuel; Pantsod '
- Davies, Thomas; Llwynrheol
- Enoch, John; Rhandir
- Evans, David; Nantygwrdu
- Evans, David; Synoduchaf
- Evans, Elijah, John & Watkin; Pantgwyn
- Evans, Evan; Pargoed
- Evans, Lewis; Castellygeifr
- Evans, Morgan; Rhydgwmllanan
- Griffith, John; Nantygwmfynydd(Low)
- Griffiths, Griffith; Nantrefel-Fawr ,
- James, Stephen; Llwynfedw
- Jenkins, Daniel; Llwynderw
- Jones, James; Penygraig
- Jones, John; Pentre-Jones
- Jones, Daniel; Bethlwyd ,
- Jones, David; Gafriw
- Jones, Owen; Cwmecedog
- Jones, Rees Lewis; Rhosgochstof ,
- Jones, David; Synod-isaf
- Lewis, Evan; Pantrhiwddulas
- Lewis, David; Gellyhen
- Lloyd, James; Pantafin
- Leonard, Thomas; Rhiwbrenfawr
- Leonard, Evan; Cwmmawr
- Rees, Jenkin; Nantygwymfynydd (Up;
- Thomas, John; Pontglas
- Thomas, Thomas; Maeslan
[Gareth Hicks: 3 November 2003]