GENUKI Home page up Llanarth Contents Contents

 

Llanarth - Extract from "A Topographical Dictionary of Wales"
by Samuel Lewis 1833

"LLANARTH (LLAN-ARTH),a parish in the hundred of MOYTHEN, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 13 miles(N. W. by W.) from Lampeter, consisting of two divisions, North and South, and containing 2449 inhabitants. This parish, which is of considerable extent, is pleasantly situated on the turnpike road leading from Cardigan to Aberystwith, and is intersected by the river Llethy, which falls into Cardigan bay at Llanina. The Earl of Richmond, afterwards Henry VII., on the second night after his landing at Milford Haven encamped his forces at Wern Newydd, in this neighbourhood, where he was hospitably entertained by Einon ab Davydd Llwyd, on his route through this county to Bosworth Field. The surface of the parish is boldly undulated, and in some parts mountainous: the lands are partially enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery is strikingly varied by picturesque dingles and sterile mountains; and from the higher grounds some pleasing and extensive views are obtained over St. George's channel. Noyad Llanarth, anciently the seat of the family of Griffiths, is now a spacious modern mansion, the residence of Lord Kensington. Fairs are annually held in the village on January 12th, March 12th, June17th, September 22nd, and October 27th, for horses, cattle, and merchandise. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Llanina annexed, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 4.18.11., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Vylltyg is a venerable structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a lofty and substantial tower, and is situated on the declivity of a high hill : in the churchyard, a little to the north of the church, is a stone four feet and a half in height, and two feet ten inches in breadth, bearing a rude cross, and having an inscription, which, however, is so much obliterated as to be illegible. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. In this parish are the remains of an extensive encampment, called Castell Moeddyn and on the farm of Pen Voel is another, called Pen y Gaer. Of Castell Mabwynion, also in this parish, which was allotted by Prince Llewelyn ab lorwerth, in his partition of the re-conquered territories in South Wales, in 1216, to Rhys ab Grufydd, there are not any remains, neither is the exact site of it known. There is a tumulusof earth, called Crg Cch,on an extensive common here. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor of both divisions of the parish amounts to 694.2."

Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 6 December 1999]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI