"LLANRHYSTID ( LLAN-RHYSTYD), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (S. by W.) from Aberystwith, on the road to Cardigan, containing 1525 inhabitants. This place, though at present of little importance, has been distinguished in history from a remote period of antiquity. In 987, its church was demolished by the Danes, in one of their descents upon South Wales. The castle of Llanrhystid called also Dinerth castle, was, in 1080, at which period it belonged to lestyn ab Gwrgan, Prince of Glamorgan, sacked by Rhys, Prince of South Wales........"
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]