GENUKI Home page upLlanrhystud Contents Contents

 

 

Llanrhystud chapels

 

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (April 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

 Other sources

 

Baptist

Salem Baptist chapel, Llanrhystyd village      (Mefynydd township)

  • Salem Baptist chapel, (Capel Bach)       SN53786967        Started c.1787, stopped (see Ty-cwrdd below) and began again c 1821, chapel built 1823, rebuilt late C19th     Members; 30 in 1840  Records;  1.   three account books 1882-1937  NLW    2.   see Bethel, Aberystwyth                Still open 1998            (1) & (4)
  • Salem           Baptist          Erected in 1823              John Dd Jones, Deacon, Grocer, Llanrhystyd       1851  (2)
  • Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes; Salem (Baptist, 1915-1936).
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  • Photograph - on the Llanrhystud site

Ty-cwrdd Baptist chapel, Llanrhystyd

  • Ty-cwrdd Baptist chapel, Llanrhystyd         SN539697      One of a pair of cottages that formerly stood on the south bank of the Afon Wyre, downstream of the old bridge. Ty Cwrdd was registered as a place of worship by the Baptists in 1789. The cottages were demolished to make way for the present road bridge in about 1840    (1)
  • In 1789 the members obtained a small house which they registered for preaching, it was torn down after  a few years       (4) under Salem

 

Methodist

Brynwyre CM chapel            (Mefynydd township)

  • Blaenwyre [?] CM Sunday School, Brynwyre        SN57356962           School Chapel built 1849  (connected with Rhiwbwys chapel) .   Members; c50 in 1851    Records; see Rhiwbwys      Still open 1998        (1) & (4)
  • Brynwyre     CM               Erected in 1849               Edward Jones, Sunday School Teacher    1851  (2)
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS

Carmel Welsh CM chapel    (Haminog township)

  • Carmel  Welsh CM        Erected in 1824              Joel (?) Rowlands, Superintendent, Tanyrallt, Aberystwyth      1851  (2)

Moriah CM chapel, near Rhydfudur             (Haminog township)

  • Moriah CM chapel , near Rhydfudur              Started in 1885, chapel built 1907       Records;  1.  membership register 1885-1947, with gaps     NLW    2.  two registersa of Rhydufur Schoolroom Sunday school 1875-79 and 1883 and 1876    NLW        (4)
  • Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Moriah (Cal.Meth., 1888-1936)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  •  
  • According to the NRA site there are unspecified records at the NLW for 1875-1947
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS

Penrhiw Trawsnant CM chapel, Trawsnant           (Haminog township)

  • Pen-rhiw Welsh CM chapel, (Joppa), Trawsnant       SN56746678       Started 1738, chapel built 1834, rebuilt 1859, enlarged 1868 & 1884/5.    Sunday School founded 1809 (near Talwrn) & schoolhouse built 1834.        Members; 98 in 1902       Records; see Rhiwbwys           Still open 1998         (1) & (4)
  • Penrhiw Trawsnant    CM            Erected in 1834             "This place of worship belongs to Rhiwbwys..."     Thomas Evans, Chief Manager, Talwrn, Llanrhystyd     1851  (2)
  • Still open in 2006. Contact details on Ceredigion Library site in 2007
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

Rhiwbwys CM chapel, Rhiwbwys near Llanrhystud village              (Haminog township)

  • Rhiw-bwys Welsh CM chapel, Rhiwbwys, near Llanrhystud village           SN54626923     Started 1740s in farmhouse of Tref-y-clawdd, chapel built 1781, enlarged 1820, rebuilt 1832, 1871, 1926.      Members; 108 in 1902        Records; births and bapts 1812-37 at PRO & in IGI                Still open 1998        (1) & (4)
  • Rhiwbwys   CM       Erected in 1781, repaired in 1820, rebuilt in 1832           "The attendance on the 30th was not so great as usual. Great many families being invalids....... There are two other places in connection with this chapel at a distance of less than two miles each where sermons are delivered in one (Penrhiw)........ except when the Minister officiates at Brynwyre. They are both School houses built for keeping Sunday School in. Another branch Sunday School in another direction is kept in a dwelling house called Hafod....."     David Jacob Davies, Deacon, Pentremawr, Llanrhystyd        1851  (2)
  • Rhiwbwys CM chapel, Llanrhystud Anhuniog     Bapts 1812-37 PRO         (3)
  • Rhiwbwys CM Chapel, Births and Baptisms 1812-1837. Searches within  their Research Service from  Cardiganshire Family History Society
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  • Still open in 2006.  Contact details on Ceredigion Library site in 2007
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.
  
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 16 Oct 2011]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.