We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.

Llanrhystud is a parish and village on the high road from Aberystwyth to Aberayron, in the county of Cardigan, 6 miles south of Llanrhystyd Road station on the Manchester, and Milford railway, and 9 miles south from Aberystwyth, in the hundred of Ilar, petty sessional division of Ilar Lower and Aberayron, county court district of Aberystwyth, union of Aberystwyth and in the rural deanery of Glyn Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The river Wyre flows through the parish.

The church of St. Rhystyd, restored in 1857, is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, transept, nave, porch and a western tower with spire, containing a clock and two bells: the stained east window was erected in memory of Col. James Phillips: there are 600 sittings. The registers date from the year 1700. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £390, average £305, net yearly value £250, with 2 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1863 by the Rev. Thomas Evans, of St. David's College, Lampeter.

There are Calvinistic Methodist and Baptist chapels.

The Rev. Canon D. Evans left the interest of £300 for distribution to the poor.  

Major John G. Parry Hughes, who is lord of the manor, and Lieut.-Col. Alfred Glynn Begbie R.E. are the principal landowners.

Soil, Clay. Principal crops wheat, barley and oats.

The area of Llanrhystyd Haminiog is 4,736 acres; rateable value, £2,832; population in 1891, 698 ; Llanrhystyd Mefenydd has an area of 3,950 acres; rateable value, £2,649 population in 1891, 463.

Parish Clerk, Evan Richards.

Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office.---John W. Morgan, sub-postmaster. (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Cardiganshire added.) Letters arrive at 8.27 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m.


A School Board of 7 members was formed 11 June, 1875, Evan James Evans, clerk to the board; David Ellis, attendance officer

Board, Cofadail (mixed), for 94 children; average attendance, 60; Miss M. A. Benjamin, mistress

Board, Brynherbert, for 143 children; average attendance, 96; Daniel Davies, master

National, built in 1870, for 150 children; average attendance, 60; John Richards, master


  • Begbie, Lieut.-Col. Alfred Glynn R.E., J.P. ; Mabws
  • Evans, Rev. Thomas; The Vicarage
  • James, James J.P. ; Ffynnonhowell
  • Jones, Daniel; Glanwyre villa


  • Bradley, William, shopkeeper & tailor
  • Davies, Evan, weaver
  • Davies, Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
  • Davies, Thomas, master mariner
  • Evans, David, miller (water); Felinfawr
  • Evans, John, shoe maker
  • Evans, William, saddler
  • James, Mary (Mrs), grocer
  • Jenkins, David, blacksmith
  • Jones, Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
  • Jones, Jas. ironmonger; Gladdys house
  • Jones, Margaret (Mrs.), shopkeeper
  • Lewis, Evan, miller (water); Rhiwbwys
  • Morgan, John, blacksmith
  • Morgan, Richard; Red Lion P.H
  • Vaughan, David, shoe maker
  • Williams, John; Black Lion P.H


  • Davies, David; Tycam
  • Davies, Evan; Rhydlas
  • Davies, Jane (Mrs.); Llestygarn
  • Davies, Morgan; Penrhos
  • Davies, Rachael (Mrs.); Pencwm issa
  • Davies, Stephen; Draenllywn
  • Edwards, David & William; Penlan
  • Edwards, David; Esgair
  • Edwards, Edward; Nantcwba
  • Edwards, Jenkin, Pentremawr
  • Ellis, John; Pencwmucha
  • Evans, David; Green Meadow
  • Evans, David James; Pengar
  • Evans, Evan James; Cnwigbarcil
  • Evans, Jane (Mrs.); Penbank
  • Evans, Jane; Treflas
  • Evans, Jenkin; Bank
  • Evans, Jenkin; Penlaoyle
  • Evans, John (& assistant overseer); Brynrwyn
  • Evans, John; Blaenresgar
  • Evans, Mary (Mrs.); Tynbeily
  • Evans, Thomas; Bwlchymynydd
  • Evans, Thomas; Glanrhos
  • Evans, Thomas; Llyestyconsiens
  • Evans, Thomas; Morfa
  • Evans, William; Wernfach
  • James, James; Ffynnonhowell
  • James, Jane-(Mrs.), Llettygwyn
  • James, John; Morfudu,
  • James, John; Tyhen
  • Jones, Daniel; Allt Clwyd
  • Jones, David; Pendre
  • Jones, David; Tregynanissa
  • Jones, Edward; Pencwm
  • Jones, Elizabeth (Mrs.); Henfelin
  • Jones, Evan; Moilivor
  • Jones, Isaac; Tyndderwin
  • Jones, Jane (Mrs.); Goytre
  • Jones, John; Perthy
  • Jones, John; Tyhen
  • Jones, John; Ystradteilo
  • Jones, Jonathan; Cefnmabus
  • Jones, Lewis; Pengarrig
  • Jones, Richard; Gilfachael
  • Jones, Richard; Vachwen
  • Jones, William; Tynwern
  • Lewis, John (& assistant overseer);Tanyparke
  • Majukes, David; Brynhop
  • Morgan, Evan; Tynrhos
  • Morgan, Henry; Rhygoch
  • Morgan, Jane (Mrs.); Rhosefadol
  • Morgan, Richard
  • Morris, Daniel; Llettygrigian
  • Morris, Evan; Penrosser
  • Morris, John; Glencarog
  • Morris, John Lewis; Penlan
  • Morris, Margaret (Mrs.), & Richard; Gwarcacan
  • Morris, Mary (Mrs.); Trial
  • Owen, Owen; Ffoespilcorn
  • Richards, David; Bryn
  • Richards, Evan; Tynporth
  • Richards, Thomas; Tregynanucha
  • Rowlands, David; Mabwshen
  • Thomas, John; Pantffynon
  • Thomas, Thomas; Gwarfelin
  • Williams, David; Bryngwyn
  • Williams, John
  • Williams, John B
  • Williams, John James; Plascrugg
  • Williams, Mary (Mrs.); Trefyclawdd


[Gareth Hicks: 16 February 2004]