The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Llansantffraid with Llanon forms a parish in the county of Cardigan, on Cardigan bay, about 8 miles south-west from Llanrhystyd Road station, on the Manchester and Milford railway, 4 1/2 miles north-east from Aberayron, and 11 south-by-west from Aberystwith, in Ilar hundred, Aberayron union, county court district and petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Glyn Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's. Under an order of the Local Government Board, in 1884 Gilfach was transferred from Llansantffraid to Llandewi Aberarth.
The church of St. Bridget is a plain building of stone, in the Early English style of the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave, and an embattled tower, containing 1 bell: there are 400 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1796, marriages 1754, and burials 1813. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £92, average £68, net income £112, with 3 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1888 by the Rev. David Lewis, of St. Bees.
There are two Congregational chapels and a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
The principal landowner is John G. Parry Hughes esq. of Allt-Llwyd, Aberystwith.
The soil is light loam; subsoil, slate. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 4,707 acres; rateable value, £3,327; the population in 1891 was 1,115.
Llanon is a thriving village in this parish, on the road from Cardigan to Aberystwith, and contains some remains of monastic buildings.
Parish Clerk, Francis D. Evans.
Post, M. O.,& T. O., S. B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, Llanon (Sub-Office Letters should have R.S.O. Cardigan added).--- John Thomas, subpostmaster. Letters arrive at 9 a.m. & 3.45 p.m.; dispatched at 9 a.m. & 3.45 p.m
A School Board of 5 members for the united district of Llansantffraid & Llanbadarn Trefeglwys was formed 9th Oct. 1874; T. A. Lloyd, clerk to the board
Board School (mixed), for 130 children; average attendance, 95; Thomas Davies, master. (Infants' School), for 70; average attendance, 50; Miss Mary Lewis, mistress
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 16 February 2004]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996