The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Llanwenog is a parish in the county of Cardigan on the road to Newcastle Emlyn, 2 1/2 miles from Llanybyther station, on the Manchester and Milford railway, 5 1/2 south-west from Lampeter, and 18 from Carmarthen, in the hundred of Moyddin, union and county court district of Lampeter, petty sessional division of Upper Moyddin, and is in the rural deanery of Lampeter, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Gwynog is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and an embattled western tower, containing 1 bell; the east window is stained, and there are 150 sittings. The registers of baptisms and burials date from the year 1722, marriages 1755. The living is a vicarage, gross income from tithe rent-charge £147, average £114, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1892 by the Rev. John Morris M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford, who is also vicar of and resides at Llanybyther.
Here are Baptist, Congregational and Unitarian chapels. There are also Baptist chapels at Brynhafon and New Court, Congregational chapels at Brynteg and Drefach, and Unitarian chapels at Alltybacca and Newcourt.
The principal landowner is Herbert Davies-Evans esq. of Highmead, Llanybyther.
The soil is light loam; subsoil, slate. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area comprises 10,664 acres of land and 59 of water; rateable value £4,485; the population in 1891 was 1,467.
Alltybacca, 2 miles north-west, Brynhafon, 3, Brynteg, 2 south-east, Drefach, half-a-mile north-west, and New Court, 1 1/2 miles north-west, are hamlets in the parish.
Letters arrive from Llanybyther R.S.O. Carmarthenshire at 12 noon .
Letter Box, Drefach, cleared at 2.10 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Llanybyther
A School Board of 5 members was formed 7 June, 1875; William Jones, clerk to the board & attendance officer
Board, for 180 children; average attendance, 150; George Thomas, master
National, for 160 children; average attendance, 130; Evan Lake, master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 28 July 2011]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996