GENUKI Home page up Llanwenog Contents Contents

 

Llanwenog - Extract from "A Topographical Dictionary of Wales"
by Samuel Lewis 1833

"LLANWENOG (LLAN WENOG), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of MOYTHEN, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 5 Miles (W. S. W.) from Lampeter, containing 1647 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises the upper and lower divisions, is pleasantly situated on the river Teivy, and on the turnpike road leading from Lampeter to Cardigan. It is distinguished as the scene of a memorable battle, which was fought in 981, between the Danes, under their famous leader Godfrid, and the native Welsh under Eineon ab Owain (in which the former were totally defeated), or, according to Dr. Meyrick, between Eineon and his countryman Hywel ab Ievav; and a square intrenchment in a field called Cae'r Vaes, or " the field of battle," on the farm of Ty cam, in this parish, is still pointed out as the spot where the engagement took place. The parish, which is very extensive, is intersected by the road from Lampeter to Cardigan, and comprehends a large tract of arable and pasture land, the greater portion of which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery, though not characterized by any extraordinary features, is in general pleasing, and is enlivened by several handsome seats and villas. Llanvaughan, a handsome, though deserted, mansion, now the property of the nieces of the late Admiral Thomas, who erected it in 1786, is beautifully situated : the pleasure grounds are laid out with great taste, and abound with a rich variety of ornamental scenery. The admiral's family name was originally Lloyd.. he was a native of this parish, and a member of the family of the Lloyds of Castel Hywel. High Mead, the seat of Herbert Evans, Esq., is delightfully situated on an eminence above the river Teivy, commanding an extensive prospect of the surrounding country on both sides of the vale, which here expands into considerable breadth : the house is completely sheltered from the north winds by an extensive range of lofty hills, the summits and acclivities of which are richly planted with thriving woods of luxuriant foliage, which add much to the beauty of the surrounding scenery. A fair is held here on January 14th. This place formerly constituted a prebend in the collegiate church of Llandewy-Brevi, rated in the king's books at 17.12.11. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at 8, endowed with 600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The parish is divided into two portions, called respectively the Freehold land and the Grange: the Grange portion of the tithes is divided into three parts, of which one belongs to the Peterwell estate, and the other two parts are added to the freehold land portion: the freehold tithes, including this addition, are divided into two parts, of which one belongs to the High Mead estate, and the other part is divided between the Crosswood estate and the vicar. The church ,dedicated to St. Gwynog, is an ancient structure, with a massive tower sixty -six feet high, a very unusual appendage to churches in this part of the principality. There were formerly four chapels of ease to the mother church of this parish, of which there is not one now in existence. There are two places of worship for Baptists, and one for Presbyterians. Among the remains of antiquity are, an ancient monumental stone, with an inscription in rude characters, which Dr. Meyrick reads " Trenacatus ic jacet filius Maglagni;" two circular tumuli, near the river Teivy, supposed to have been originally thrown up and crowned with forts, to defend the passage of the river; and a barrow called Crg yr Udon, which, on being opened, was found to contain a coffin of glazed earth, in which were human bones placed in an upright position. In this parish is an ancient fortress called Castel Moyddyn, which is inserted in Mr. Owen's map; but of its origin or history there are no records, nor has any traditionary account of it been preserved. There was also within the last few years another relic of antiquity, called Carn Philip Gwyddyl, the cairn or barrow of Philip the Irishman, a curious bank of earth, six yards in length and four feet high, resembling in form the rude sketch of a prostrate human figure, without the head, and with the arm stretched out: it was situated in a field not far from the church, but was destroyed a few years since. Tradition reports it to have marked the burial-place of a freebooter, who lived in the tower of the church, and who, on leaping from it when closely pursued, broke his leg and was captured. The Rev. David Lloyd, a poet of minor celebrity, was interred here, but no monument has been erected to his memory. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to 770.6."

Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 11 December 1999]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.