The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Llan-y-chaiarn is a parish and village in the county of Cardigan, 2 miles south of Aberystwyth and 1 mile north-west of Llanrhystyd Road station, on the Manchester and Milford railway, in the hundred of Ilar, petty sessional division of Ilar Upper, union and county court district of Aberystwyth, rural deanery of Llanbadarnfawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Uchan, or Hychan, at one time a chapel of ease to the church of Llanbadarnfawr, is a building of stone consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a turret containing one bell: the stained east window is a memorial to Emma, wife of Matthew Davies esq. of Tan-y-bwlch, and there is another to O. P.Leir esq. The church was restored and enlarged in 1874-80, at a cost of £1,600, and affords 250 sittings. The registers of baptisms and burials date from 1803; marriages, 1754. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £6. 13. 4d. gross income £110, net £98, with glebe, in the gift of M. L. Vaughan Davies esq. and held since 1888 by the Rev. Richard Lewis, of St. Bees, who resides at Aberystwyth.
There is a Church of England Mission chapel, erected in 1878, at a cost of £500, and a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
The principal seats are Tan-y-Bwlch, M. L. Vaughan Davies esq. D.L., J.P.; Brynyreithin, Mrs. Richardes; and Ffosrhydgaled, Captain Thomas Powell Lewes. A pack of foxhounds is kept at Tan-y-Bwlch, of which M. L. V. Davies esq. is master. The manor is vested in the Crown. The principal landowners are W. B. Powell esq. Nanteos Morris Davies esq. and M. L.V. Davies esq.
Soil is clay; the chief crops are wheat, barley and potatoes. The area is 4,060 acres; rateable value, £3,584; the population in 1891 was 471.
Parish Clerk, Evan Thomas.
Letters through Llanfarian R.S.O. Cardiganshire, arrive at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. Aberystwyth, is the nearest money, order & telegraph office
A School Board of 5 members was formed 14 June, 1874; Edward H. Davies, clerk to the board; John Morgan, attendance officer
Board School (mixed), built in 1876, for 150 children; average attendance, 63; Rhys Rufus Davies, master
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 21 February 2004]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996