GENUKI Home page upLlechryd Contents Contents

 

 

Llechryd chapels

 

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (April 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

 Other sources

 

Independent

Lower chapel / Capel Isaf (Ind), Llechryd

  • Lower Chapel / Capel Isaf, Ind. chapel, Llechryd                SN21664383       Cause started before 1660 under direction of James Davies, the place is one of the oldest Independent churches in Wales        Built 1709, rebuilt 1834.             D Davies was minister 1828-54     Members; over 200 in 1854                  Still open 1998        (1) & (4)
  • Lower chapel   Ind                Erected in 1700      Daniel Davies, Minister           1851  (2)
  • Llechryd Old chapel (Welsh Ind)          Opened 1709       Still open 1992    (7)
  • Rees, Rev. William (Congregational) resident in parish       1895  (6)
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  •  
  • Evans, Meirion. Yr Hen Gapel Llechryd . 1959
  • Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
    Gomer M. Roberts, Hanes Capeli, Books and Papers   "Includes; ...... books relating to Capel Isaf (CM), Llechryd ......."
  • Hen Gapel, Llechryd shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006) 
    Shown as open on contacts list on Ceredigion Library site (2007)

Tabernacl Welsh Ind chapel, Llechryd

  • Tabernacl Welsh Ind chapel, Llechryd               SN21824377          Chapel built 1881         Still open 1998            (1) & (4)
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  • Tabernacl Ind chapel, Llechryd shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

 

Methodist

Capel Llwyn Adda CM chapel, Llechryd

  • Llwyn Adda CM chapel, Llechryd            SN21474401         Started c.1740, chapel built 1791, replaced 1829 & renewed 1877-8.     Sunday School founded 1804, used as vestry by 1998 Members;  151 in 1902         Chapel still open 1998               (1) & (4)
  • Capel Llwyn Adda    CM               Erected in 1791, rebuilt in 1829        "The Sunday School is caried on upwards than 40 years with great deficiency for School supplys"                 John Jones, Steward, Tailor, Llechryd        1851  (2)
  • Rowlands, Rev. William D. (Methodist)  resident in parish    1895  (6)
  •  
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  • Shown as open on contacts list on Ceredigion Library site (2007)
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks: 24 April 2011]

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.