The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Llechryd is a parish and village, in the county of Cardigan, and on the Teify, over which is a bridge; it is 2 miles from Kilgerran station on the Cardigan and Whitland branch of the Great Western railway and 2 1/2 south-east from Cardigan, in Troedyraur hundred, Lower Troedyraur petty sessional division, Cardigan union and county court district, rural deanery of Sub Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of Saint Tydfil, erected in 1876, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisle, south porch and a belfry containing one bell: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1787 but is incomplete. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £130, net £120, including glebe (£113) and residence, in the gift of Thomas Edward Lloyd esq. and Charles E. Longcroft esq. alternately, and held since 1880 by the Rev. Thomas Thomas, of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford. The old church, still standing, is now disused.
There are two Congregational chapels and a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
Agriculture and fishing are the chief industries. The principal landowners are Thomas Edward Lloyd esq., Rowley Lascelles esq., John W. Stephens esq., Mrs. Lort-Phillips and Miss Wibley-Gabler.
The soil is chiefly clay; subsoil, clay and rock. The chief crops are barley, wheat, oats and hay. The area is 636 acres; rateable value, £913; the population in 1891 was 300.
Assistant Overseer, Thomas Thomas, Llandygwydd.
Post. M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Cardiganshire added). --- Jas. Stephen Richards, postmaster. Letters received at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m.; sundays, delivered, 10.30 a.m.; dispatched, 1.30 p.m
This parish is included in the Llangoedmore United School Board district, formed 6 July 1876.
Board School (mixed), erected in 1878, for 80 children ; average attendance, 75; Evan Thomas, master
- Harris, Thomas J.P
- Jones, Mrs; Tiverton house
- Lort-Phillips, Mrs
- Lloyd, Thomas Edward J.P.; Coedmore
- Rees, Rev. William (Congregational)
- Rowlands, Rev. William D. (Methodist)
- Stephens, James; Glanolmarch
- Stephens, John Wm. J.P.; Glanolmarch
- Thomas, Rev. Thomas (vicar)
- Wibley-Gabler, Miss
- Charles, William, carpenter
- Davies, Daniel, carpenter
- Davies, James, carpenter
- Davies, Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
- Davies, Thomas, shoe maker
- Edwards, Thomas, mason
- Evans, Benjamin, Tivyside P.H
- Evans, David, butcher; Nantcrymanal
- Evans, John, shopkeeper
- Griffiths, Anne (Mrs.), farmer; Penlanllechryd
- Griffiths, Griffith, farmer
- Jenkins, Francis (Mrs.), farmer
- Jones, David, carpenter
- Lascelles, Rowley, barrister; Pencraig
- Lewis, David, blacksmith
- Lewis, Mary Ann (Mrs.) shopkeeper
- Phillips, John, carpenter; Llechrydisaf
- Phillips, John, farmer; Myrtle hill
- Richards, James Stephen, draper & grocer; Post office
- Richards, Joseph, farm bailiff to Miss Wibley-Gabler
- Thomas, Griffith; Carpenters' Arms P.H
- Thomas, Samuel, cooper
- Thomas, Mary (Mrs.), mason; Pencoed
- Williams, John, farmer, Tyfry
- Williams, John, farm bailiff to Thomas Edward Lloyd esq
- Williams, Owen, maltster
- Williams, William, blacksmith
[Gareth Hicks: 24 February 2004]