The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Lledrod (or Llanfihangel Lledrod, i.e. Llethyr Troed) is a parish, in the county of Cardigan, comprising the townships of Upper and Lower Lledrod, 9 miles south-east from Aberystwyth, 4 south-east from Llanilar station and 4 1/2 miles north-west from Strata Florida station, both on the Manchester and Milford railway, and by foot road 2 miles south-west from Trawscoed station on the same line, in the hundred of Ilar, petty sessional division of Ilar Upper, county court district of Aberystwyth, union Tregaron, and in the rural deanery of Llanbadarnfawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Michael is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch and a western turret containing, one bell: the church was restored in 1885, at a cost of £853, and affords 160 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1770; burials, 1778; marriages, 1765. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £206, average £156, net income £235, with 250 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Hywel Meredydd Williams B.A. of St., David's College, Lampeter.
There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
The manor is vested in the Crown. The Earl of Lisburne is the principal landowner.
The soil is clay. Chief crops barley and oats, but the greater part of the land is under pasture. The area of Upper Lledrod is 4,564 acres; rateable value, £1,566 ; the population in 1891 was 351 ; the area of Lower Lledrod is 4,312 acres; rateable value, £1,518; and population, 533.
Letters for Lledrod Upper are received through Ystrad Meurig R.S.O. Cardiganshire, at 12 noon; dispatched at 2.45 p.m. Wall Letter Box at Swyddffynon cleared at 2.45 p.m
Letters for Lledrod Lower are received through Llanilar, R.S.O. Cardiganshire, at 11 a.m. ; dispatched at 1.45 p.m. Wall Letter Box cleared at 1.45 p.m
The Grammar School here, founded & endowed in 1745 by the Rev. Thomas Oliver, a native of Lledrod, & sometime vicar of Dudley Wore, was, at the close of the last century, annexed to that of Ystrad-Meurig, which see.
This parish is included in Ystrad Meurig & Lledrod Upper United School Board district, formed 18 June 1875
Board School, Lledrod Lower, built in 1877, for 90 children; average attendance, 60 ; L. H. Davies, master
Board School, Swyddffynon, Upper Lledrod, for 90 childrn
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 24 February 2004]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996