The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Nantcwnlle is a parish in the county of Cardigan, 6 miles west from Port Llanio station on the Manchester and Milford railway, 6 1/2 south-west from Tregavon(Tregaron) and 8 north from Lampeter, in the hundreds of Moyddin and Penarth, petty sessional division of Penarth, county court district of Lampeter and union of Tregavon (Tregaron), and in the rural deanery of Ultra Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. Gwynllen, is a plain building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and turret with spire, containing one bell: it was restored in 1887, at a cost of £1,000: affords 140 sittings. The registers date from the year 1765. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £341, net income £280, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1864 by the Rev. Evan Williams, of St. David's College, Lampeter, and rural dean of Ultra Aeron.
There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
The soil is light and slaty. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area, is 4,607 acres; rateable value, £2,213; the population in 1891 was 652.
Letters received through Tregaron R.S.O. Cardiganshire. The nearest money order office is at Llangeitho & nearest telegraph office at Tregaron
A School Board of 5 members was formed 14 July,1871; R. Jones, hon. clerk
Return to top of page
[Gareth Hicks: 26 February 2004]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996