We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Penbryn chapels

 

For further details of this project see Cardiganshire Chapels Database

Compiled by Gareth Hicks (April 2007)

Sources

NB.  Not all available data was necessarily used from sources - and sources 1 & 4 have been combined as similar

  • 1.  The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
  • 2.   The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.      UWP,   Cardiff, 1976
  • 3.   Nonconformist Registers of Wales published by the National Library of Wales in 1994.
  • 4.   The Parish Churches and Nonconformist Chapels of Wales: Their Records and where to Find them, Vol. One, Cardigan - Carmarthen - Pembroke, by Rawlins, B.J. (1987).
  • 5.  Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 -  the Archive Cd Books Cd
  • 6.  Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 -  the Archive Cd Books Cd
  • 7.  My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.
  • 8.  Death and Burial indexes available for purchase from Cardiganshire Family History Society
  • 9. Online Commercial & Residential Directories as appropriate to a particular parish - apart from what may already be on Genuki, see also the Historical Directories site

 Other sources

  • Dyfed FHS  - Photographs of chapels (may also be other data there)
  • Archives Network Wales
  • Lewis 1833 on Genuki  (Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 )

Independent

Bryn Moriah Ind chapel, Brynhoffnant

  • Brynmoriah  Welsh Ind chapel, Brynhoffnant           SN33035130           Preaching for years before chapel built 1848/9 (with graveyard), enlarged 1861/2 & rebuilt 1884 (1886).      Memebrs; 150 in 1872             Records; see Glynarthen              Still open 1998         (1) & (4)
  • Bryn Moriah     Ind                   Erected in 1848                          William Jones, Minister, Glynarthen            1851   (2)
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  •  
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Nov 2006)
Glynarthen Welsh Ind chapel, Glynarthen
  • Glynarthen Welsh Ind chapel, Glynarthen         SN31084855          First chapel built 1769 at Ddeinol, first chapel at Glynarthen built 1797, rebuilt 1841.    This chapel and Hawen, Troedyraur were considered the same throughout the C18th until 1860          Schoolroom built 1848.       Members; 6/700 people received into membership during ministry of Thomas Griffiths 1821-38         Records; 1. bapts 1765-1805, births & bapts 1814-37  PRO       2. membership register 1788-1874;  register of bapts 1836-64, 1866, 1920, 1922-30; contribution books 1872-79, 1880-1912; Sunday school registers 1844-50, 1869-71, 1871-73, 1887-90, 1898-1905, 1905-12, 1913-21   NLW     3. letters of admission of members, certs of registration of death  NLW           Still open 1998            (1) & (4)
  • Glynarthen   Ind     Erected before 1800, rebuilded 1841       "The Collections towards Missions, Bible Society, Colleges, poor etc annually are large ....... There is a British School House builded by the Congregation on their own property and supported by themselves and free for the poor's children"                  William Jones, Minister              1851  (2)
  • Glynarthen Cong chapel     Bapts 1814-37 PRO     Bapts 1836-1930  NLW             (3)
  • Glynarthen Welsh Ind      Opened 1797    Bapts 1836-1939  NLW        (7)
  • Cardiganshire Family History Society - Index to deaths and burials in Cardiganshire from non-conformist records is available on fiche. Check details on their site, for this parish includes ; Glynarthen (Ind., 1849-1922, 1925-1969).
  • Here is a List of Members of Glynarthen Congregational Chapel, Penbryn.
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Nov 2008)
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

 

Methodist

Penmorfa CM chapel, Morfa Canol

  • Penmorfa  Welsh CM chapel, Penmorfa         SN30485218         Started 1743, society first met at Blaenhoffnant farm, chapel built 1796, rebuilt/modified 1846 & renewed 1939.    Chapel house built 1840 & rebuilt(?) 1894.            Branch Sunday school at Esgair           Members; 204 in 1902          Records;  1. births & bapts 1802-37  PRO & in IGI                   Still open 1998    (1) & (4)
  • Penmorfa   CM                  Erected in 1796, rebuilt in 1846                Timothy Timothy, Secretary, Rhydser                   1851  (2)
  • Penmorfa CM chapel      Bapts 1812-37  PRO     (3)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
  • Photograph on Dyfed FHS
  •  
  • Penmorfa Sarnau CM  - still open in 2006
  • Books
  • Jenkins, J Geraint. Bro a chapel : hanes Penmorfa 1796-1996. Penmorfa : Capel Penmorfa, 1996. 56p
  • Owen, Daniel S (Hoffnant). Cronicl Penmorfa, 1860-1900. Casnewydd : W. Jones, pr, 1915. 70p
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.
Tanygroes CM chapel, Esgaireithin
  • Tan-y-groes Welsh CM chapel, Esgaireithin          SN28514937       Started 1742, chapel built 1849/50, enlarged & renovated 1882.      Members;  154 in 1902        Records; see Blaenannerch & Penmorfa               Still open 1998     (1) & (4)
  • Tanygroes    CM                  Erected in 1850    "The seats in Tanygroes Chapel is  not finished but after been finished they will be rented ...."                         Thomas Evans, Secretary, Esgerathen, Penbryn                    1851  (2)
  •  
  • Jones, Wyn. Hanes yr Achos Methodistaidd yn Nhanygroes [Tanygroes] Sir Aberteifi
  • Hanes Methodistiaeth, rhan ddeheuol Sir Aberteifi : oddechreuad y "Diwvgiad Methodistaidd" yn 1735 hyd 1900 . By John Evans.   Dolgellau , 1904. (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church History in the southern part of Cardiganshire from 1735 to 1900) This book contains an entry for each CM chapel in existence in South Cardiganshire at the end of 1900, including this one. It includes a history of preaching in the area before the chapel was built, lists deacons, ministers etc, and contains a wealth of genealogical information.

 

[Gareth Hicks:  16 Oct 2011]